An electrical fire burned the entrance canopy at a Lee’s Summit elementary school Friday morning but the building escaped serious damage, officials said.
Staff members evacuated Underwood Elementary School after a passerby reported the fire shortly before 10 a.m. No students were present.
Firefighters could see flames and smoke as they left their station not far from the school at 1125 N.E. Colbern Road. They quickly doused the blaze, which burned the exterior steel-and-plastic canopy of the school’s main entrance, a Lee’s Summit Fire Department spokesman said.
The fire began at a light fixture on the canopy.
Never miss a local story.
There appeared to be no fire or smoke damage to the school’s interior, and no water damage to the entrance or office areas. District officials expect fall-term classes to begin as scheduled on Aug. 19.
Brian Burnes, email@example.com