The Grandview Fire Department will have a fire safety meeting Monday evening with neighbors of 85-year-old Troy Shankles, who died in a house fire earlier this month.
Shankles died in the fire at his house in the 6500 block of East 155th Street on May 13. Investigators determined that discarded smoking materials started the fire. There were no working smoke detectors in the house, fire officials said.
The meeting with neighbors will be from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Monday at the Grace & Glory Chapel, 6503 E. 155th St. in Belton.
Firefighters will answer questions and offer life-saving tips. Free smoke detectors and batteries will be given to residents who need them.