The Kansas Department of Health and Environment has issued a boil water advisory for Johnson County Rural Water District 7.
The district includes the area of Spring Hill, Paola and Hillsdale.
Customers should boil water for one minute prior to drinking or food preparations, or use bottled water.
The advisory was issued because of a water main break on Hedge Lane, north of 239th Street in Miami County.
Never miss a local story.
Officials estimated that the main will be fixed by early Tuesday evening. The advisory will remain in effect until the risk of contamination is eliminated.
BOIL ORDER TIPS
Customers should observe the following precautions until further notice:
▪ Boil water for one minute prior to drinking or food preparation, or use bottled water.
▪ Dispose of ice cubes and do not use ice from a household automatic icemaker.
▪ Disinfect dishes and other food contact surfaces by immersion for at least one minute in clean tap water that contains one teaspoon of unscented household bleach per gallon of water.
▪ Water used for bathing does not generally need to be boiled. Supervision of children is necessary while bathing so that water is not ingested. Persons with cuts or severe rashes may wish to consult their physicians.
▪ If your tap water appears dirty, flush the water lines by letting the water run until it clears.