A fire Sunday in a Lee’s Summit residence killed a dog that was in a kennel near the back door and several other pets.
Nobody who lived in the house was injured.
Fire officials said an occupant of the home in the 4200 block of Southeast Furlong Drive returned home shortly after 6 p.m. after being gone for several hours.
The man heard the alarm sounding and smelled smoke. He tried to enter the house but was pushed back. The occupant managed to retrieve the dog but it was dead. Later several other pets were found dead inside.
Never miss a local story.
The fire was under control by 7:30 p.m. Officials said the fire started in the kitchen and is thought to have been electrical.