The first Kansas location for L.L. Bean is now open in Leawood.
Company officials said they selected the Kansas City area because they already have a strong customer base here through their catalog and online operations. Now they hope to build on that through the new brick-and-mortar store in Town Center Crossing, 4401 W. 119th St.
It features a variety of products — clothing, footwear, outdoor gear, hunting and fishing equipment and home decor items, including seasonal decor.
It also includes the company’s L.L.Bean Signature apparel and accessories collection inspired by some of its original designs but with a modern fit and updated style.
L.L. Bean Inc., a privately held, family-owned business, was founded in 1912 by Leon Leonwood Bean and is now a leading multichannel merchant with annual sales of $1.61 billion. It is based in Freeport, Maine, just down the road from its original store.
Restaurant and retail openings
▪ Stagecoach Tavern plans to open at 5 p.m. Friday at 9617 W. 87th St., Overland Park. It will then be open daily for lunch and dinner starting Saturday. Menu items will include Cobb salad, wings (using a variety of sauces by Original Juan Specialty Foods in Kansas City, Kan.), sliders, including a pulled pork slider and a black bean veggie slider, and gourmet pizza like the Chicken Pesto (with basil pesto, grilled chicken, mozzarella cheese, roasted red peppers and red onion), as well as local craft beers.
Owners Ray Dunlea and Jake Chappelow have spent the last few weeks remodeling the spot and adding a new beer garden. It also will have a private event space.
“We really want it to be family-friendly, a date night place,” Chappelow said.
▪ China 1 Cafe has opened in the West Park Plaza, 9828 W. 87th St., Overland Park. It serves a variety of items including fried rice, lo mein, Moo Shu, Egg Foo Young, crispy honey shrimp, Hunan Beef, Hot & Spicy Szechuan Chicken and specialties likes Seven Stars Around the Moon (crabmeat, chicken, beef, scallop and Chinese vegetables with seven fried shrimp).
▪ Go Calendars, Games & Toys has opened a holiday pop-up store in the Legends Outlets Kansas City at 1829 Village West Parkway, Suite T-107, Kansas City, Kan. It sells such items as calendars, games, toys and puzzles.
▪ Qdoba Mexican Eats, a fast-casual restaurant chain, plans a Dec. 3 opening at 6350 Johnson Drive, Mission.
▪ Nothing Bundt Cakes plans a Dec. 11 opening at 15151 W. 119th St., Olathe.