Here’s a look at what’s happening in restaurant news around the Kansas City area.
▪ Andy’s Frozen Custard plans a 2,800-square-foot shop with drive-through at 10816 Shawnee Mission Parkway, Shawnee, for a late summer or early fall opening. The company also is looking at sites for two Overland Park locations and one in Liberty.
Never miss a local story.
▪ The Big Biscuit plans a June opening in Santa Fe Square, 13505 S. Mur-Len Road, Olathe, and an early July opening at 1640 S.E. Blue Parkway in Lee’s Summit.
▪ Billy Sims Barbecue, 9222 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, former home of Pei Wei Asian Diner. A Friday opening is planned.
▪ Black Dirt, a new restaurant by the owners of Justus Drugstore, plans a late summer opening at 5070 Main St.
▪ Brookside Pizza & Taproom plans a late summer opening at 600 E. 63rd St., in a building that houses its sister business, Brookside Wine & Spirits.
▪ Chuy’s, a Tex-Mex chain based in Austin, Texas, has set a May 30 opening for its new location at 11965 S. Strang Line Road, Olathe.
▪ Elly’s Brunch & Cafe, 4800 Main building, Suite 101, formerly the Board of Trade building. A May opening was scheduled but company officials have not returned phone calls.
▪ Fuji Japanese Restaurant & Sushi Bar, Best Host Inn Plaza, 5701 Longview Road. No opening date was available.
▪ Golden Ox, West Bottoms, plans to open by September at 1600 Genessee St.
▪ Grinders, 733 New Hampshire, Lawrence, plans a July opening.
▪ iTap (International Tap House) plans an early-to-mid June opening at 18th and Oak streets.
▪ Kneaders Bakery & Cafe plans to open at 800 N.E. Coronado Drive in Blue Springs on June 30, and at 621 E. Markey Parkway, Belton, on July 28. A location at 12180 Blue Valley in Overland Park is scheduled to open in early January 2018.
▪ Larkburger has signed a lease in the 4800 Main building at 4800 Main St. No opening date was available.
▪ Lenexa Public Market will include a Roasterie Cafe and Marilyn’s Mad Treats. It also is in talks with three other local restaurant operations and plans to open in late July.
▪ Maggiano’s Little Italy, Corbin Park, 7025 W. 135th St., Overland Park, in late July.
▪ Louie’s Wine Dive plans a fall opening in Liberty Commons.
▪ McAlister’s Deli plans a fall opening in Liberty Commons.
▪ McLain’s Market and Deli is going through the Lawrence planning department for a new location at 1420 Crescent Road. McLain’s officials declined to comment.
▪ Meshuggah Bagels plans an August opening in Liberty Commons, at Missouri 152 and Interstate 35 in Liberty, and a June 1 opening at 7096 W. 105th St. in Overland Park.
▪ The Mixx plans a new fast casual concept, Caffetteria, in part of the former Bruce Smith space in the Prairie Village Shopping Center. A fall opening is scheduled.
▪ MOD Pizza plans a July opening at 1937 Foxwood Drive, Raymore, and a September opening in Antioch Crossing, 5315 N. Antioch Road.
▪ Paleterias Tropicana, plans a late July opening in the University of Kansas Medical Center’s new Health Education Building at the corner of 39th and Rainbow Boulevard in Kansas City, Kan.
▪ A Papa Keno’s Pizzeria franchisee has signed a lease for the Snow & Co. space at 1815 Wyandotte St. for a July opening.
▪ Parkway Social Kitchen, 616 Ward Parkway. The owners of the Plaza Coal Vines will open the classic American grill in the spot in late summer.
▪ The Peanut plans an early-June opening at 6409 N. Cosby Ave., just west of Interstate 29 in the Picture Hills Shopping Center.
▪ Pickleman’s Gourmet Cafe. More than a year ago, Pickleman’s owner said he would open at 23 E. 12th St. The sign is still up on the building and the location is still listed on its website as “coming soon.” The owner did not return phone calls.
▪ PT’s Coffee Roasting Co. plans to open at 1101 Indiana, Lawrence, by early June.
▪ Qdoba Mexican Eats plans a June 5 opening at 18921 E. Valley View Parkway in Independence.
▪ Ruby Jean’s Juicery plans to open in the Town Pavilion, 1111 Main St., Suite 165, in June.
▪ The Russell plans to open in early June at 3141 Main St.
▪ Simple Science Juices plans a mid-June opening at 13725 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, next to Buffalo Wild Wings and the UPS store in Corbin Park.
▪ Slim Chickens plans to open locations in Lawrence and Liberty Commons on Aug. 7.
▪ Stonewall Restaurant and Pizzeria plans to open by early June at 1008 Massachusetts, Lawrence.
▪ Swordfish Tom’s, 210 W. 19th Terrace, plans to open later month. The pre-Prohibition style bar will serve only premium spirits.
▪ Texas Roadhouse plans a fall opening in Edgewood Farms.
▪ Velvet Freeze Daiquiris, 1827 Vine St., tavern. No opening date was available.
▪ The American, 200 E. 25th St., Suite 400, has reopened as a private event space and pop-up restaurant with Debbie Gold returning as executive chef.
▪ Ash & Bleu, a grilled cheese food truck.
▪ Betty Rae’s Ice Cream has a new food truck.
▪ CJ’s Steak House, 1411 S. Commercial, Harrisonville.
▪ C.S. Smoothie, Painted Hills Golf Club, 7101 Parallel Parkway, Kansas City, Kan.
▪ Freddy’s Frozen Custard & Steakburgers, 10019 E. Missouri 350, Raytown. Freddy’s also has purchased property near the Legends Outlets in Kansas City, Kan.
▪ Freshwater (Fine) Dining, 3711 Summit St., a modern Continental European cuisine using local ingredients.
▪ Fuzzy’s Taco Shop, Cherokee South Plaza, 8909 W. 95th St., Overland Park.
▪ Good Vibe Goat, Lawrence food cart. Chef Richard Wilks sells burritos from 7 to 10 a.m. Monday through Thursday at 12th and Connecticut. The food cart also is available for private events with a customizable menu.
▪ Ignite Wood Fire Grill, Lenexa City Center, 8721 Ryckert St., Lenexa.
▪ Jarocho South, 13145 State Line Road. (The Star’s Jill Silva checked it out recently.)
▪ Larkburger, Corbin Park, 13611 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park.
▪ Main Event Entertainment, 8081 N.W. Roanridge Road in Edgewood Farms.
▪ McGonigle’s Meat Wagon, West Bottoms, 1628 Wyoming. 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday; 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Friday; and 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday.
▪ Old Wok, 8702 N. E. Flintlock Road. Chinese, Thai and pho.
▪ Pinsa Pizzeria & Kitchen, a fast-casual concept, SummitWoods Shopping Center, 1694 N.W. Chipman Road, Lee’s Summit.
▪ The SandBox at PowerPlay, 509 N.W. Barry Road. PowerPlay has added sand volleyball courts with a two-story bar and grill.
▪ Soiree New Orleans Bistro, 14121 Earthworks Drive, Smithville.
▪ Southern Poppy, Lawrence-based catering and food delivery for Southern comfort food including chicken and waffle plates.
▪ Splitlog Coffee C0., 548 Central Ave., Kansas City, Kan.
▪ Spokes Cafe Cyclery — described as a cafe and bar with a bike shop in back — in the Summit on Quality Hill, 1200 Washington St., Suite B.
▪ 29 Local Kitchen & Patio, 10004 Ambassador Drive.
▪ Wake the Dead Breakfast Bar, 7 E. Seventh St., Lawrence.
▪ Chicken Mac-N-Cheese Express has reopened at 7025 Prospect Ave.
▪ Minsky’s Pizza Cafe & Bar, 12920 State Line Road, Leawood, temporarily closed May 17 for 20 to 30 days. It will double the size of the dining room and expand the bar and add full service. It also will install a new grill for Philly cheesesteaks, gyros and other hot sandwiches.
▪ Meatball District, 1806 W. 39th St., is scheduled to reopen in June under new ownership.
▪ Sheridan’s Frozen Custard closed 15 months ago at 6248 N.W. Barry Road after a dispute between the franchisee and franchisor ended up in court. Now Jim Sheridan said he has the keys to the building and is refreshing it and hopes to reopen soon.
▪ Westport’s Beer Kitchen has reopened at 435 Westport Road after temporarily shutting down for repairs and new flooring.