▪ A1 Sushi and Hibachi plans to open in The Fountains shopping center at 6357 W. 119th St. in Overland Park, in May.
▪ Andy’s Frozen Custard plans a 2,800-square-foot shop with drive-through at 10816 Shawnee Mission Parkway, Shawnee, for a late summer or early fall opening. The company also is looking at sites for two Overland Park locations and one in Liberty.
Never miss a local story.
▪ The Big Biscuit plans a June opening in Santa Fe Square, 13505 S. Mur-Len Road, Olathe, and an early July opening at 1640 S.E. Blue Parkway in Lee’s Summit.
▪ Billy Sims Barbecue, 9222 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, former home of Pei Wei Asian Diner. A mid-May opening is planned.
▪ Black Dirt, a new restaurant by the owners of Justus Drugstore, plans a late summer opening at 5070 Main St.
▪ Blue Moose Bar & Grill is scheduled to open Monday, April 24, at 525 Wakarusa Drive in Lawrence.
▪ Brookside Pizza & Taproom plans a late summer opening at 600 E. 63rd St., in a building that houses its sister business Brookside Wine & Spirits.
▪ Chuy’s, a Tex-Mex chain based in Austin, Texas, has set a May 30 opening for its new location at 11965 S. Strang Line Road, Olathe.
▪ Coal Vines, Country Club Plaza, 616 Ward Parkway, has temporarily shut down for a new concept to debut this summer.
▪ Freddy’s Frozen Custard & Steakburgers plans a mid-to-late May opening at 10019 E. Missouri 350 in Raytown. Freddy’s also has purchased property near the Legends Outlets in Kansas City, Kan.
▪ Freshwater (Fine) Dining, 3711 Summit St., a modern Continental European cuisine using local ingredients, plans to open in the next few days.
▪ Fuzzy’s Taco Shop, which has area locations in south Kansas City, Overland Park and Lawrence, plans a May 4 opening in the Cherokee South Plaza, 8909 W. 95th St., Overland Park.
▪ Golden Ox, West Bottoms, plans to open by September at 1600 Genessee St.
▪ Gossip, a dance club and restaurant, wants to open at 10635 Floyd St. in Overland Park.
▪ iTap (International Tap House) plans a late May opening at 18th and Oak streets.
▪ Jarocho South, 13145 State Line Road, plans to open Thursday, April 27.
▪ Kneaders Bakery & Cafe plans to open at 800 N.E. Coronado Drive in Blue Springs on June 30, and 621 E. Markey Parkway, Belton, on July 28. A location at 12180 Blue Valley in Overland Park is scheduled to open in early January 2018.
▪ Lenexa Public Market will include a Roasterie Cafe and Marilyn’s Mad Treats. It also is in talks with three other local restaurant operations and plans to open in late July.
▪ Maggiano’s Little Italy, Corbin Park, 7025 W. 135th St., Overland Par, in late July.
▪ Main Event Entertainment plans to open at 9081 N.W. Roanridge Road in Edgewood Farms on May 9.
▪ Meshuggah Bagels, 1208 W. 39th St., plans a mid-June opening in Liberty Commons, at Missouri 152 and Interstate 35 in Liberty, and a mid- to late-May opening in Overland Park.
▪ The Mixx plans a new fast casual concept in part of the former Bruce Smith space in the Prairie Village Shopping Center. A fall opening is scheduled.
▪ MOD Pizza plans to open Saturday at 1112 N.E. Coronado Drive, Blue Springs, and a late spring opening is planned for Antioch Crossing, 5315 N. Antioch Road. A location at 1937 Foxwood Drive is expected to open this summer.
▪ Paleterias Tropicana, plans to open a location in the University of Kansas Medical Center at 3901 Rainbow Blvd.
▪ A Papa Keno’s Pizzeria franchisee has signed a lease for the Snow & Co. space at 1815 Wyandotte St. for a July opening.
▪ The Peanut plans a mid-May opening at 6409 N. Cosby Ave., just west of Interstate 29 in the Picture Hills Shopping Center.
▪ Pinsa Pizzeria & Kitchen, a fast-casual concept, plans to open in SummitWoods Shopping Center, 1694 N.W. Chipman Road, Lee’s Summit. The owners couldn’t be reached for comment.
▪ PT’s Coffee Roasting Co. plans to open at 1101 Indiana, Lawrence, by June.
▪ Qdoba Mexican Eats plans an early June opening at 18921 E. Valley View Parkway in Independence.
▪ Ruby Jean’s Juicery plans to open in the Town Pavilion, 1111 Main St., Suite 165, in May.
▪ The Russell plans to open in early June at 3141 Main St. It will offer rustic American fare and will use a 10-foot Argentinian fire table to cook items over applewood.
▪ The SandBox at PowerPlay, 509 N.W. Barry Road. PowerPlay will add sand volleyball courts with a two-story bar and grill featuring craft and domestic beers, a full bar, shareable appetizers and “delicious fried food.” The top level will feature an outdoor deck with bar and fire pit. A late April opening is scheduled, but leagues are forming now.
▪ Simple Science Juices plans a mid-June opening in Corbin Park at 13725 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, next to Buffalo Wild Wings and the UPS store in Corbin Park.
▪ Soiree New Orleans Bistro plans to open soon at 14121 Earthworks Drive, Smithville. It will offer cajun, creole and Southern-style cuisine.
▪ Spokes Cafe Cyclery — described as a cafe and bar with a bike shop in back — plans to open on May 8 in the Summit on Quality Hill, 1200 Washington St., Suite B.
▪ Stonewall Restaurant and Pizzeria plans to open by early May at 1008 Massachusetts, Lawrence.
▪ 29 Local Kitchen & Patio, 10004 Ambassador Drive. The locally owned lunch-only place plans a May 1 opening. It will have a soup and salad bar with sections devoted to gluten-free and Paleo. It plans to be open during happy hour on Friday nights with live entertainment. Luna Azteca Mexican Grill formerly occupied the space.
▪ Swordfish Tom’s, 210 W. 19th Terrace, plans a May opening. The pre-Prohibition style bar will serve only premium spirits.
▪ Texas Roadhouse plans a fall opening in Edgewood Farms.
▪ Velvet Freeze Daiquiris, 1827 Vine St., tavern. No opening date was available.
▪ Attitude, 600 E. 31st St. It offers breakfast and lunch as well as baked goods. It also will sell vintage and antique furniture, chandeliers, quilts, crystal and silver.
▪ Corvino Supper Club & Tasting Room, Corrigan Building, 1830 Walnut St. (Here’s The Star’s profile of the restaurant.)
▪ Freddy’s Frozen Custard & Steakburgers is the first tenant to open in the Northland’s new Edgewood Farms development, 8071 N.W. Roanridge Road.
▪ HomeSlice Pizza & Pints has opened with a limited menu at 1501 Grand Blvd. It plans to have a grand opening with its full menu soon.
▪ Martin City Ghost Bar, 13023 Holmes Road, is open but plans a grand opening in May.
▪ The Mockingbird Lounge, 204 Orchard St., Kansas City, Kan. It will soon offer its expanded menu.
▪ Penn Station East Coast Subs is now at 14991 W. 119th St., Olathe. Tom + Chee formerly operated in the space but closed in mid-2016.
▪ Pretzel Boy’s softly opened Wednesday but plans a grand opening Saturday at 9559 Nall Ave., Overland Park.
▪ Shana Cake 914 Massachusetts St. in downtown Lawrence. It also has a Topeka location.
▪ Smoke Brewing Co., craft brewery and barbecue gastropub, 209 S.E. Main St., Lee’s Summit.
▪ Southside Bar & Grille, Watts Mill, 1144 W. 103rd St.
▪ T3 Arcade, 9720 Quivira Road, Lenexa. Riley Drive Entertainment recently converted its Beaver Tap to T3 Arcade featuring arcade games, along with street tacos, burritos and pizza-by-the-slice.
▪ Zaxby’s, 12195 S. Strang Line Road in Olathe. The chain serves chicken fingers, wings, sandwiches and salads.
▪ The Dessertery, Park Place, 4872 W. 119th St., Leawood.