The Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce on Wednesday announced its 2014 top 10 small businesses, representing a range of companies from marketing communications to the diagnosis and treatment of severe eye disease.
More than 1,000 companies were nominated for the awards and about 100 of the nominees went through the application process. Then a group of judges narrowed the list to the 10 that best demonstrated growth, sustainability, community service and employee relations.
The top 10 were announced at a private event at Boulevard Brewing Co. The event — presented by Intrust Bank — was part of the chamber’s annual small business celebrations. One of the top 10 will be crowned the Kansas City 2014 Small Business of the Year and receive the Mr. K Award at a luncheon May 29.
This year’s top 10:
• Basys Processing Inc., a family-owned and -managed Lenexa company that provides credit and debit card processing services for financial institutions.
• Bishop-McCann, a Kansas City brand agency that produces meetings, incentives and live events for corporations and major brands worldwide.
• BNIM, a Kansas City design firm.
• Harmon Construction Inc., an Olathe construction management, design-build and general contracting company.
• Muller Bressler Brown, a Leawood digital advertising agency.
• Netchemia, a Prairie Village company that provides cloud-based software solutions to educational organizations.
• Retina Associates, an Overland Park company that diagnoses and treats severe eye disease.
• Scarbrough International Ltd., a Kansas City global trade management and logistics company.
• TK Architects Inc., a Kansas City architecture, engineering and interior design firm.
• Trozzolo Communications Group Inc., a Kansas City marketing communications company.
The chamber awards luncheon will be from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. May 29 at the Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center,
2345 McGee St.
The chief executive officers of each of the top 10 small businesses will share their “challenge and success” stories at the Top 10 CEO Panel Breakfast from 7:30 to 9 a.m. May 7 at the Hilton President Kansas City, 1329 Baltimore Ave.
For more information about the celebration, go towww.kcchamber.com.