Whether you want to name-check Jack Kerouac at customs or drink beer in all 50 states, you’ll find something to like on our list of 20 travel must-haves for 2016.
▪ Beer Cap Maps Country Map ($75): Cross-country drinkers can show off their love of beer — and traveling — with this map.
▪ Lighted Compact Mirror Charger ($27): A small and stylish mirror re-powers your device while helping you refresh your makeup.
▪ Toothpaste 2 Go ($6.99): Bring your favorite toothpaste with you on all your travels without having to worry about size restrictions. The reusable, travel-size refill tube is easy to use and more affordable than stocking up on bundles of travel-size toothpaste tubes.
Never miss a local story.
▪ Leibal humidifier ($65): Needing only a USB port for power, this creative and portable humidifier is powerful enough to add humidity to any space, allowing you to breathe and sleep easy all night long wherever you are.
▪ Dormify’s luggage tag ($18): Travel in style with a cheeky, retro-inspired luggage tag.
▪ Stretch Laces ($9.99): It gets tiring removing and retying your shoes over and over again for airport security lines. These stretchable laces allow you to turn your sneakers into convenient slip-ons.
▪ Bra Case from Jacky’s Collection ($35): Fine lingerie and overstuffed suitcases don’t mix. This protective case, which holds six bras and comes in a variety of styles, keeps yours from winding up squashed flat at the bottom of your carry-on.
▪ Classic Penguin Book Passport Cover, “On the Road” ($14): “Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me, as is ever so on the road.” The perfect passport cover for the modern-day beatnik.
▪ Scrubba Wash Bag ($99): No one likes re-wearing filthy, sweaty, stinky clothes while traveling. Scrubba’s bag is a pocketsized, lightweight device that allows you to wash your clothes anywhere, anytime for free. A great go-to for backpacking, camping and other outdoor adventures. Also, a portion of the proceeds go toward providing clean, safe drinking water to people in need.
▪ Flight 001’s Carry-on Quart Bag ($10): The transparent bag is an easy and stylish way to transport your carry-on liquids.
▪ GRID-IT Organizer ($11.99-$49.99): Keep your gadgets organized and secure with this organizer. The durable elastic bands provide lots of configuration options for your gizmos.
▪ NomadClip ($39.95): Charge your smartphone or tablet on the go with this high-tech, sturdily built clip, which doubles as a carabiner.
▪ The Lay-n-Go activity mat ($24.95-$64.95): The washable mat provides a place for kids to play with their toys. It cinches into a storage bag in seconds, providing an easy solution to cleaning up and storing toys with lots of small pieces.
▪ Flower Designs Coloring Book ($9.99): Need a little art therapy in between flights? Find your coloring zen with artwork from illustrator Jenean Morrison.
▪ Mark and Graham’s Travel Jewelry Case ($59): This sleek case has multiple layers to safely store your earrings, bracelets, necklaces and other jewels in transit. Added bonus: The case can be monogrammed and gift-wrapped for free.
▪ Infinity Pillow from Huzi Design ($59): The versatile, strip-like pillow can be twisted, wrapped and squished into different resting positions — perfect for finding the most comfortable position on a never-ending flight.
▪ W&P Design’s Cocktail Kit ($24): This pint-sized carry-on is a great stocking stuffer for the travel enthusiast. The Gin & Tonic mixing kit includes a recipe card, bar spoon, half-ounce jigger, linen coaster and a craft tonic syrup.
▪ Swept Away by Wanderlust travel journal ($34.99): A functional and fashionable journal includes fun and quirky prompts that encourage you to write about and capture your special memories before they are forgotten.
▪ Alife Travel Jacket Gripper ($37.65): Instantly free up your hands with this lightweight, adjustable strap that easily grips to the handle of your tote bag, purse or carry-on and keeps your unworn coat secure.
▪ Prynt smartphone case ($139): This phone case instantly prints out photos — Polaroid style — without using any ink. The case comes with 10 sheets of paper and a micro-USB charging cable.