, the original crowd-sourced restaurant guide, is checking off the top restaurant searches of 2013.
The top 10 for Kansas City is a mix of new and old, casual and upscale, local and chain, urban and suburban. The list was released by Google, which owns Zagat, as part of itsannual “Zeitgeist” list
Top 10 restaurants searched on Zagat in Kansas City
1. Minsky’s Pizza:
What can you say? A perennial pizza parlor favorite.
2. Fiorella’s Jack Stack Barbecue: For refined barbecue fare with flair, you can’t beat Fiorella’s smoky freighthouse ambiance. Actor Paul Rudd even had it “flown in” for his fantasy football draft.
3. Stroud’s: KC is known first for barbecue. Steaks and fried chicken tie for second. Although Stroud’s is the most famous among the traditional chickenhouses, there are others trying to get a piece of the extra-crispy drumstick action. Recently fried chicken has been showing up as a special at a wide array of local restaurants around town, including Johnny Cascone’s Italian Restaurant, Pig Finch Gastropub, Cafe Europa and O’Neill’s Restaurant Bar. Meanwhile, Stroud’s
is getting ready to open new locations in the new year.
4. 801 Chophouse: This popular regional chain anchored out of Des Moines, Iowa, includes sister restaurant Pig Finch Gastropub and the newly opened 801 Fish
5. Michael Smith’s: James Beard award-winning chef Michael Smith continues to be a mainstay on the Kansas City dining scene, adding a partnership in Coco Bolos Wood Fired Grill and Cantina
6. Rye: One of the city’s newest restaurants with the most buzz, 2013 James Beard award-winning chef Colby Garrelts and his wife/pastry chef/co-owner opened their newest concept in Leawood. Their gussied-up Midwestern fare, including their fried chicken, has received rave reviews
. The golden bird made the cover of Saveur’s August/September issue.
7. Seasons 52:
The perfect feel-good restaurant, this popular national chain located on the Country Club Plaza offers seasonally inspired, health-conscious fare, including flights of mini desserts to keep diners from feeling deprived.
Colby and Megan Garrelts’ first baby, Bluestem’s upscale dining room that has been a destination dining experience for nearly a decade.
9. Affäre: Chef Martin Heuser has shown up on quite a few lists this year for his creative take and contemporary German cuisine
. Heuser was also a semifinalist on the James Beard best chef list.
10. Providence New American Kitchen: A new restaurant inside the renovated President Hotel, chef Eric Carter features a creative take on comfort food.