Functional, aesthetically pleasing and colorful tabletop decor is “in.” Creative tabletop decor is part of the current trend in styling that for many is also an integral part of how they wish to live and present their home to guests.
Decorative items have long been considered to be for display purposes only (as opposed to actually used). However, these days, people want to use what they own and enjoy their collections and collectibles, so placing decorative items front and center is indeed in vogue.
What are the best decorative items to choose? And what is the best way to display them? Here are do’s and don’ts to create eye-catching, tabletop vignettes:
▪ Do display items that you truly love, but in moderation. There is an art to not overdoing it. Remember, less is more.
▪ Do mix materials as well as color and textures.
▪ Do add greenery. Nothing adds life and energy to a space quite like greenery. Aim for living plants as opposed to artificial.
▪ Do consider florals as tabletop items. Simple arrangements can be colorful and aesthetically appealing.
▪ Do use books. The use of books has long been a secret of designers. Books are an affordable and colorful way to add decor to your tabletop vignette.
▪ Don’t overcrowd your tabletop. Too much decor can be just as unappealing as too little decor.
▪ Don’t follow trends. That color or item that is suddenly “in” can as easily be “out.” The best purchases are those that do not follow trends and can stand the test of time.
▪ Don’t mix too many colors and materials. While mixing materials can add interest, too many can overwhelm a space.
▪ Don’t forget to try using natural materials. Items such as rope, branches and driftwood are very popular right now and perfect for those looking for a seaside, rustic or industrial look.
▪ Don’t be too formal. Gone are the days of untouchable display items. Don’t be afraid to display favorite pieces.