These little vessels look like they came off a potter’s wheel but are actually hand-rolled from clay.
1. Use a large marker or any smooth cylinder to roll softened polymer clay (such as Fimo or Sculpey) into a slab that’s about 1/8-inch thick.
2. Press a second color of clay onto the slab, if you like. Use small balls or snakes of clay for dots and stripes. Roll the slab smooth again.
3. Use a clay tool or plastic knife to cut a rectangle about 2 inches by 2 1/2 inches from the slab. Loosely wrap the rectangle around a finger and smooth the seam closed to form a cylinder.
Never miss a local story.
4. Form a base by placing the cylinder on a 1/8-inch-thick remnant of clay and cutting around it. Smooth the edges of the base to the cylinder, and seal up any holes. Press and smooth the clay walls to shape the vase as desired.
5. Bake the vase according to the clay package directions.