For millions of Americans, a summer storm can be devastating — just ask residents of Kansas City where just last week, storms caused widespread damage with heavy lightning and winds reaching 70 mph in places. Here are home preparation items to help make you and your home storm-ready.
▪ Generator: Whether it’s portable or a more expensive standby generator, having this backup power system can make the difference between being in the dark and having necessities such as lights and plumbing.
▪ Flashlights: Whether you need them for indoor or outdoor use, having a working flashlight is a necessity.
▪ Power tools: Having a quality, full set of tools on hand will help you to be able to make preparation and repairs easier.
Never miss a local story.
▪ Storm door: While it may not keep the elements out in the case of severe situations such as hurricanes, it can certainly help with protection.
▪ Plywood: Plywood is key to protect windows and doors from damage.
▪ Chainsaw: Depending on if you sustain tree damage, a chainsaw may be necessary.
▪ Tarps: Tarps help protect outdoor objects and equipment from being damaged, as well to cover holes in roofs.
▪ Batteries: Batteries are critical during power loss.
▪ Broom: You’ll need it for post-storm cleanup.
▪ Food essentials: Canned goods and bottled water are always welcomed items to have and keep on hand.