A new pillow is always a great addition to a room that needs a little refresh. This sweet owl pillow is a quick and easy project that you can make for yourself or give as a gift. Extra special details, like hand-embroidery, mix and match patterns and soft chenille fabrics make this pillow truly unique. We used our newest fabric collection from FreeSpirit fabrics called Haute Girls, to add colorful paisley wings and a contrast backing.
Download the pattern at blog.denadesigns.com/owl-pillow.
Embroidery floss in Black
Fabric (We used Haute Girls Pink Paisley, Aqua Medallion and Pink Lattice along with some soft solid chenille and boa fabrics)
1. Download and print each page of the document. Be sure your printer is set to print at actual size.
2. Cut out each pattern piece and tape together where indicated.
3. Pin pattern pieces to fabric and trace with a fabric pen.
4. Cut out pattern pieces.
5. Using your fabric pen, draw the eyes. It’s best to use a disappearing ink fabric pen, rather than a washable one. Then use embroidery floss to embroider the eyes.
6. We find it’s easier to glue on all of the appliques first, using Tacky Glue. That way they don’t wiggle around when you go to stitch them to pattern piece 1. Begin with gluing down the belly (pattern piece 3), then the wings (5 and 6), the mask (4) and finally the beak (pattern piece 7). Let dry for about 30 minutes.
7. While the appliques are drying, make the bow. Fold along fold lines on pattern piece 7 and press with an iron. Repeat with pattern piece 8. Wrap 8 around 9 and stitch closed in the back.
8. When the appliques are dry, stitch around their edges. We used a blanket stitch on our sewing machine. But you can use a basic stitch or even a zigzag for a little flair!
9. With right sides together, stitch the front (pattern piece 1 plus appliques) and the back (pattern piece 2) together, leaving about 4 inches of open space at the bottom so you can stuff it.
10. Hand stitch the bow to the ear.
11. Stuff the owl pillow with polyfill.
12. Using a pillow stitch, stitch the opening closed at the bottom.