▪ Clean artificial flowers. Place them in a paper bag with 1/4 cup salt and shake them.
▪ Freshen garbage disposal. Pour 2 cups of ice into the disposal, topped with 1/2 cup salt. Turn on the tap and run the disposal for 15 to 20 seconds. The ice will clean gunk off the blades, and the salt will help scrub everything.
▪ Remove baked-on foods. Sprinkle the offending pan with salt; wet it down, then let it soak. Once the salt has lifted away the stuck-on food, rinse the pan with soapy water.
▪ Pre-treat grease stains. Rub salt into the spot as soon as you notice it. The salt should absorb the grease. Then wash the garment as usual.
Never miss a local story.
▪ Deodorize canvas shoes. Sprinkling salt inside canvas shoes absorbs moisture and helps reduce funky scents.
| Compiled by Traci Arbios, The Fresno Bee