The Community Blood Center announced a blood shortage Monday and asked the public to help boost supplies through blood drives and personal donations.
The center, at 4040 Main St., attributed the shortage to a drop in donations related to school breaks, the holiday season, the flu season and bad weather. The shortage is worse than in recent years, the center said in a press release.
The center estimates that it needs 580 donors each weekday to meet the needs of local patients, as about one in seven hospital admissions requires a blood transfusion. An estimated additional 200 blood drives and 5,000 donations are needed in December and January to meet hospital demand, the release stated.
The organization is in particular need of O-negative blood, but stressed that all blood types are needed.
Never miss a local story.
People can donate blood at the following locations:
▪ Kansas City: 4040 Main St.
▪ Overland Park: 10568 Metcalf Ave., Times Square Shopping Center
▪ Gladstone: 7265 N. Oak Trafficway
▪ Blue Springs: 1124 S.W. U.S. 40
▪ Topeka: 6220 S.W. 29th Street
▪ St. Joseph: 3122 Frederick Ave.