All good things must end. With the redesign of The Star, we’ve decided to bring our weekly FYI caption contest to a close today.
We launched the contest as a regular feature six years ago and would often receive hundreds of entries every week. Lately, the number has dwindled to around 50, often from the same wonderfully talented participants. Meanwhile, funny folks have found new outlets in Twitter hashtag competitions and the like.
We’ll continue to offer occasional contests for readers to show off their creativity. (For example, the deadline for our Royals postseason poetry contest is today. Email entries to firstname.lastname@example.org and put “Royals poetry” in the subject line.)
Below are the final winner and runners-up from last week’s caption contest. Thanks to all who entered this time and through the years.
Never miss a local story.
LAST WEEK’S WINNER
We heard about lots of shark sightings, and some, um, disturbingly warm water. But the winner was …
▪ “This surfboard smells strangely similar to a human …” Meagan James, Independence
▪ “I wonder if I should tell him I can swim. NAH!!!” Kathy Smith, Stilwell
▪ Canine lifeguards star in Animal Planet’s revival of “Baywatch.” Mark Jelavich, Kansas City
▪ “When you get good at this, I will teach you to dig up the yard …” Ken Morris, Lee’s Summit
▪ “Keep going, Larry! I’ve got your back!” Laura Riehl, Overland Park
▪ “The dog paddle is so overrated.” Nancy Roederer, Lee’s Summit
▪ “Hey, the pope has a Popemobile, so why can’t my pup have a Pupmobile?” Susan Pepperdine, Fairway
▪ “I told you to keep your head down. I want to impress that poodle over there by hovering on water!” Cecilia McGinnis, Lenexa
▪ Rex soon learned that not everyone is cut out to be a pugboat captain. Bruce Brower, Overland Park