Essay contest | Tell us about life’s curveballs
06/05/2012 4:31 PM
05/16/2014 6:38 PM
What did you do when life threw you a curveball?
That’s the topic of a new FYI contest, and before you start protesting about how summer is the time for baseball, not essays, well …
How does a $100 cash prize sound?
Yep, we’re offering $100 prizes in three divisions — kids, teens and adults — for the most compelling essays about how you — or someone you know — reacted when confronted with an unexpected challenge or obstacle. If that challenge involved an actual spinning baseball, great, but entries can deal with any topic.
Rules and details:
• The three age divisions are “Little Leaguers” (kids 12 and younger), “Minor Leaguers” (ages 13 to 19) and “Major Leaguers” (20 and older). We’ll award a $100 first prize in each category. Winners may be photographed. Honorable-mention entries may appear in the newspaper and on KansasCity.com.
• Include your name, age division, your age as of June 1, city, phone number and email address. Only residents of Missouri and Kansas can win.
• One entry per person. We’re looking for a true story, not fiction.
• Essays can’t exceed 300 words.
• Email entries email@example.com
(put “FYI Curveball Contest” and your age division in subject line). Mail entries to FYI Curveball Contest, Kansas City Star Features Department, 1729 Grand Blvd., Kansas City, MO 64108.
• Deadline to enter: 11:59 p.m. Monday, June 18. Mailed entries must be postmarked by June 18.
Look for winning essays in FYI and on KansasCity.com in July to help celebrate the All-Star Game at Kauffman Stadium.
Tim Engle, The Star