The Kansas Department of Agriculture cited these operations for multiple “priority” health code violations:
• Bonito Michoacan, 1150 Minnesota Ave., Kansas City, Kan., had 10 violations during a Jan. 10 inspection following a complaint. They included an employee cleaning food contact equipment without the use of a sanitizer.
The owner said necessary measures were being taken so the violations wouldn’t happen again.
• China Star, 4988 Roe Ave., Roeland Park, had 13 violations during a Jan. 28 inspection after a complaint. They included an employee handling raw chicken and then, without washing hands, handling vegetables for the wok and touching clean metal bowls, the door handle to the cooler, single-use containers and ready-to-eat broccoli.
“I will make sure it won’t happen again,” said owner Chun Jiang.
• Johnson County Community College, the Commons Building food courts and production, 12345 College Blvd., Overland Park, had seven violations during a Feb. 4 routine inspection. They included an employee touching the straw of his drink with his gloved hand and then touching ready-to-eat lettuce.
“All the violations were corrected on the spot. We take food safety very seriously,” said Jay Glatz, manager of dining services.
• La Carreta, 16521 W. 159th Terrace, Olathe, had seven violations during a Feb. 1 inspection after a complaint. They included black beans and refried beans in the cooler at improper temperatures.
The owner had no comment.
• Olive Garden, 6750 W. 95th St., Overland Park, had six violations during a Jan. 31 inspection. They included a person washing dishes handling dirty dishes and then touching clean dishes without changing gloves or washing hands.
In a statement, Olive Garden officials said: “We take this situation extremely seriously and have proactively provided the Health Department with a list of the specific corrective actions we’re taking immediately. In the meantime it is completely safe to dine at this restaurant. … This is an isolated incident, but we’re nevertheless focused on taking extra steps to prevent it from ever happening again.”
• Quick Shop, 5568 Leavenworth Road, Kansas City, Kan., had 10 violations during a Jan. 29 routine inspection. They included an employee going outside for a cigarette, eating and then waiting on customers without washing hands between tasks. Restroom and backroom sinks also did not have hot water available.
Store officials couldn’t be reached for comment.
• Sonic Drive-In, 8031 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, had eight violations during a Jan. 24 routine inspection. They included a container of hot dogs with a datemark of Jan. 11. An employee said that the hot dogs were new but that the container had not been properly washed, rinsed and sanitized.
In a statement, Sonic officials said: “What is described in the inspection does not meet our high standards, is isolated to this location and is being diligently addressed by the franchise owner.”
For complete inspection reports on Kansas restaurant operations, go towww.ksda.gov/food_safety
The Environmental Health Division of the Jackson County Public Works Department cited this operation for multiple violations:
• Jeong’s Canton Chinese Restaurant, 5238 Blue Ridge Blvd., Raytown, had three critical violations during a Jan. 23 inspection. They included numerous dead cockroaches in the kitchen and numerous cleaning violations that need to be corrected.
Shirley Sun, an employee, said continued cleaning had made conditions “very much better.”
For complete Jackson County inspection reports, go towww.jacksongov.org/fsi
The Platte County Health Department cited these operations for six or more critical health code violations:
• The Terrace, Argosy Casino, 777 N.W. Argosy Parkway, Riverside, had seven critical violations during a Jan. 25 inspection. They included excessive food buildup on shelving in the coolers, on the ice cream machine, on the mixers and on the slicer.
“We take safety seriously. All the violations that were identified were corrected immediately,” said Greg Personelli, vice president of operations.
• Healthy Meals catering service, 1827 N.W. Vivion Road, Riverside, had eight critical violations during a Jan. 28 inspection. They included foods held at improper temperatures.
“The doors were open because we were putting food away. But all the violations have been rectified,” said owner Scott Kluck.
For complete Platte County Health Department reports, go towww.plattecountyhealthdept.com.