The second On the Town with Carrie Rengers and Denise Neil will take place from 5 to 7 p.m. Monday at the new Newport Grill, in the former Cibola space at Bradley Fair. Here are the details:
1. Try the food: Monday is the restaurant's first day in business, so On the Town attendees will get to sample some of the fare when Newport provides a sampling of appetizers.
2. Sample the drink: A cash bar will be available, and once the drinks are flowing, Carrie and Denise will answer your restaurant questions.
3. A nominal fee: Admission to this On the Town is $10, which will benefit the Kansas Food Bank. No RSVP is required.
Never miss a local story.
Questions? Call 316-268-6327.
A few new restaurants to check out:
* Fizz Burgers & Bottles opened a couple of weeks ago at 7718 E. 37th St. North, featuring a menu of gourmet burgers, fries, sandwiches and salads.
* Wild Thyme Cafe & Bakery opened last week at 5255 N. Maize Road in Maize, featuring a menu that offers gluten-free, sugar-free, raw, vegan and vegetarian dishes plus regular old sandwiches, casseroles and daily specials.
* Flying Donuts also opened last week next to Bella Luna Cafe at 4618 E. Central. In addition to doughnuts, it offers croissants, sandwich croissants and kolaches from 5 a.m. to 2 p.m. daily.
Noodles & Company opening
There's an opening date for the Noodles & Company restaurant going in at 3300 N. Rock Road — Dec. 17. The Colorado-based restaurant chain serves made-to-order noodles, salads and sandwiches. They call it a "global menu," meaning it combines Asian, Mediterranean and American cuisines. Examples of the most popular menu items: sweet and spicy Japanese Pan Noodles, Wisconsin Mac & Cheese and a Mediterranean sandwich. Average entree price is $7. Hours will be from 10:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sundays through Thursdays and 10:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays. The restaurant's phone number is 316-631-8009.
Time to go to Press
The east-side Sabor did not work out for Melad Stephan at 1720 N. Webb Road, but he's opened a new place in the space. Press is a new wine and cocktail bar that has a long and tempting list of martinis as well as vodka, gin, tequila and rum cocktails and a nice wine list. There's also a food menu — small plates and entrees created by chef Douglas Pitts, including oysters on the half shell, beef carpaccio, crispy pork belly, seared sea scallops, sliders, pate and more. Hours are 4 p.m. to 2 a.m. Mondays through Fridays and 2 p.m. to 2 a.m. Saturdays.