There’s a lot at stake in this World Series as everyone from dog lovers to Episcopal bishops have bets riding on the outcome.
When Sfist.com, a blog about news in the Bay area, did a round-up of the friendly wagers, it mocked Kansas Citians for always putting barbecue on the line.
“MY GOD, DO THESE PEOPLE HAVE ANYTHING BESIDES BARBECUE IN THIS TOWN?” the blog railed.
Stargazing is ROTFLMAO.
Some of the bets that we’ve seen out there:
▪ The chancellors from the University of California at San Francisco and UMKC have a friendly bet going, according to the San Jose Mercury News. UMKC chancellor Leo Morton put up a rack of KC barbecue ribs and a Bobby Watson album. UCSF’s Sam Hawgood will send a selection of Napa Valley wines, Sonoma artisanal cheeses and a gift basket. “I'm really looking forward to that Sonoma cheese," Morton said in a statement.
▪ There’s a three-way bet between the Rev. Marc Handley Andrus, bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of California, the Rev. Martin “Marty” Field, bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of West Missouri, and the Rev. Dean Wolfe, bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Kansas.
If the Royals win, Andrus will send his Midwestern counterparts Ghirardelli chocolate, sourdough bread, Anchor Steam beer, and a San Francisco Giants cap.
If the Giants win, the local bishops will pay up with Boulevard Beer, KC barbecue and Royals cap. The losing bishop/bishops must pose in the winning team’s cap instead of his traditional mitre.
▪ White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest, a KC native, and Kendra Barkoff, Vice President Joe Biden’s press secretary who used to work in San Francisco, will wear ballcaps of the opposing team if they lose.
▪ The San Francisco Gay Men's Chorus and the Heartland Men's Chorus went all out, pledging Russell Stover and See’s chocolates, a Jack Stack gift certificate, plane tickets, concert tickets and serenades. If the Giants had swept, Marilyn Maye would have recorded the outgoing message on SFGMC artistic director Tim Seelig’s voicemail.
▪ Missouri Senator Claire McCaskill owes California Senator Dianne Feinstein Arthur Bryant’s barbecue and Boulevard beer if the Royals lose. If it goes the other way, Feinstein will pay up with Bay area goodies, including Petits Pains brioche, Boudin Bakery sourdough bread, Dungeness crab, Ghirardelli chocolates, Cowgirl Creamery cheese, and Anchor Steam beer.
▪ Mass Street Soda in Lawrence bet The Fizzary in San Francisco a pack of Kansas and Missouri soda. “Fizzary folks, let me know when you need our shipping address. Make sure you pack it real well so that your soda doesn't break – even though your hearts surely will after the Royals are done with you!” the Lawrence folks joked.
And finally, the Sfist.com blog liked this bet the best because it had nothing to do with barbecue: The San Francisco SPCA vs. the Great Plains SPCA.
The loser will sponsor nine adoptions at their counterpart’s location.