Most everything the public knows about Maroon 5 lead singer Adam Levine suggests that he’s an ordinary everyman. Well, except for the fact that he’s married to a Victoria’s Secret model.
Ahead of the band’s performance at the Sprint Center on Saturday, here are five things to know about Levine, who is also a judge on “The Voice”:
▪ He hit a fan in the face with a mic this week. And she didn’t mind at all. Entertainment Tonight reports that when the p.a. system at the Toronto concert broke Levin angrily dropped his mic and accidentally hit Stephanie Green in the face. He told fans: “Our first album came out in 2002, not one time in the history of our band’s career — which I can barely even believe exists — not one time has the p.a. failed. Not one time, until tonight. In my flustered state, I might have thrown my microphone on the ground and then it might have bounced off of the ground, into poor, sweet Stephanie’s face. I felt so utterly terribly that I had perhaps wounded this young fan.” He invited Green onto the stage with him and later she told Toronto media that she had had “literally the best day.”
▪ He’s a global empire with a fragrance, clothing line at Kmart, record label and acting gigs under his belt. When The Hollywood Reporter in 2013 asked him if he’d gone too commercial, he said: “I was never that guy that thought it was uncool for a band to be successful. I always thought, 'Wow, wouldn't it be amazing to be able to pay your bills and also be a musician?' It's just nice that being motivated to be successful is not a crime anymore.”
▪ He’s a romantic. The paparazzi recently spotted him and his new bride, Behati Prinsloo, buying vintage Playboy magazines in New York City. The two got married last July in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. Jonah Hill, whose brother manages Maroon 5, officiated.
▪ His heart is gold. When a young fan with Down Syndrome had a panic attack and curled up on the floor when he met Levine at a concert earlier this month, the singer and his bandmates laid down on the floor with him. Earlier, in February, Levine gallantly put his hand over his wife’s chest to hide her nip slip at the post-Oscars Vanity Fair party.
▪ Blake Shelton really does have a man-crush on him. “It's so foreign to see anything that's genuine on television these days. That's why I think so much attention is focused on Adam and I,” Shelton told Rolling Stone last year. In 2012 Shelton told MTV News that “I have a man crush on Adam. It blows me away people can pick up on that just by watching that on television. I want to kiss him. I want to kiss him so bad. I don’t care if it’s mutual or not. Can you honestly tell me that you don’t have a little bit of a crush on Adam? He’s sexy, is the word I’m using.”
▪ He really did struggle with acne, thus his gig as a Proactiv spokesman. In a July 2013 interview with Refinery29, Levine spoke of his struggles with the condition in high school. “I spent a lot of time sulking in my room and being upset. I was depressed. I was not happy. Like I said, high school's hard enough, but having this problem and knowing everyone is looking at you in the halls ... nobody had acne like I did.” By promoting Proactive he wants “people to understand that even though we are celebrities or are successful or whatever, that we're no different than everybody else. Everybody's insecure to a certain extent.”