A man dressed as a city construction worker used a sledgehammer and pickax to destroy Donald Trump’s star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame early Wednesday, according to a report from Deadline Hollywood.
The website reports that the predawn attack happened at about 5:45 a.m.
The star is no longer recognizable in a photo posted on Twitter by Deadline Hollywood senior editor Dominic Patten, who broke the story.
Never miss a local story.
In a spot usually crowded during the day, the man attracted little attention as he hammered away at the star, reports Deadline, which also posted a video of the vandalism to its website.
He was a polite vandal. At one point, when pieces of the star went flying as he smashed it, the man apologized to people standing nearby and filming: “Sorry guys, watch your eyes.”
“There was no LAPD presence in the usually well-patrolled tourist spot just across from where Jimmy Kimmel Live! is filmed most weekdays,” the website said.
An LAPD cruiser showed up around 6:15 a.m., but the man had already left the scene.
The man apparently wanted to remove the star and auction it off to raise money for the women who have recently accused Trump of sexual assault, charges the Republican candidate for president has vehemently denied.
The terrazzo and brass star, embedded in the sidewalk near the Dolby Theatre, has been targeted by protesters ever since Trump announced his candidacy last year.
People have spray-painted it with a swastika and a mute sign. Over the summer an L.A. street artist built a tiny wall around it.
The star was dedicated in January 2007, recognizing Trump’s work on “The Apprentice,” which Trump called an “absolutely amazing” experience at the dedication ceremony.
His wife, Melania, and then-baby son, Barron, also attended.
“He’s strong, he’s smart, he’s tough, he’s vicious, he’s violent — all of the ingredients you need to be an entrepreneur, and most importantly, hopefully he’s smart because smart is really the ingredient,” Trump told the crowd of his son.