If you’re looking for ways to celebrate Halloween beyond a run-of-the-mill costume party, here are some events that will go beyond the ordinary.
▪ The Bottleneck, 737 New Hampshire, Lawrence: The University of Kansas International Students Association is sponsoring a Halloween party that will feature international music and a costume contest. Showtime is 9 p.m. It’s an 18-and-older event. 785-841-5483.
Never miss a local story.
▪ The Broadway Jazz Club, 3601 Broadway: The Halloween Extravaganza will feature a costume contest and the music of Victor and Penny, with special guests. The festivities start at 8 p.m. Reservations accepted. 816-298-6316.
▪ Liberty Hall, 644 Massachusetts, Lawrence: The cabaret/comedy/burlesque troupe Foxy By Proxy Revue is hosting its fifth annual Halloween Hextravaganza. Best costume wins $50 cash prize. Showtime is 10 p.m. Admission is $10. It’s an 18-and-older show. 785-749-1972
▪ Power & Light District: Haunted House Party will feature DJ Mike Scott on the KC Live stage. Other venues will host Halloween events. More than $5,000 will be awarded for best costumes. Admission is free. It’s a 21-and-older event.
▪ RecordBar, 1020 Westport Road: The belly-dancing troupe Raqs Boheme is hosting a Spooky Show. Showtime is 6:30 p.m. Admission to the 18-and-older show is $5. 816-753-5207
▪ Westport Saloon, 4112 Pennsylvania: The Hellfire Hoedown will showcase 10 bands on two stages, including the Urban Pioneers, Them Damned Young Livers, Brutally Frank, Freight Train Rabbit Killer, the Electric Lungs and the Death Valley Wolfriders. Showtime is 9 p.m. Admission is free to the first 200 people and $5 after that. The show is also a benefit for the Bishop Sullivan food pantry. 816-960-4560
▪ The Brick, 1727 McGee: The Horror Jazz Cumbia Day of the Dead extravaganza features an all-star band: Jason Beers on bass; Betse Ellis, fiddle; Marco Pascolini, guitar and pedal steel; Kyle Dalquist, steel and accordion; John Bersuch, electronics and percussion; George Marich, drums; E Clarke Wyatt, keyboards and conducting. Folkicide will perform between sets. 816-421-1634.
Friday and Saturday
▪ Helzberg Hall, Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts, 1601 Broadway: The Kansas City Symphony presents “Mysterioso: A Magical Night,” which will include music, an illusionist and magic acts. Showtime is 8 p.m. Tickets are $45 to $85.