Bekah Martinez, a contestant on the current season of “The Bachelor,” had no idea her mother was looking for her while she was away filming the show.
Martinez also didn’t know her photo wound up on a missing persons poster and mistakenly remained there - until this week when someone saw the poster and recognized her from the ABC reality show.
The Fresno resident is one of this season’s standouts. With a short, pixie haircut, the L.A. nanny, who is 22, has made a splash because of the 14-year age difference between her and bachelor Arie Luyendyk, Jr., according to People.
Never miss a local story.
This week, the North Coast Journal, an alternative weekly in Eureka, Calif., posted pictures of 35 people reported missing from Humboldt County. One of them was Martinez.
“See anyone you recognize,” the weekly asked on its Facebook post.
Actually, somebody did. They recognized that fan favorite from “The Bachelor.”
The Journal contacted the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office and the deputy who took the initial missing persons report called the cell phone number Martinez’s mother had given them.
The deputy spoke to Martinez and removed her from the missing persons list.
Martinez mocked the mix-up Friday on Twitter.
Sheriff’s officials told the Journal that Martinez was reported missing at 1:06 a.m. on Nov. 18 because her mother hadn’t heard from her since Nov. 12. Her mom thought she had taken off to work on a marijuana farm and would return in seven to eight days.
“On Dec. 12, 2017, a deputy sheriff contacted Martinez’s mother by email to inquire whether she had heard from Martinez,” said a statement from the sheriff’s office. “Martinez’s mother responded to the email confirming that Martinez had contacted her late in the afternoon on Nov. 18, 2017, and stated that she was headed home.
“The deputy requested Martinez to contact the investigator of the case as soon as possible.
“As part of procedure, Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office deputies are typically required to make direct contact with the missing person to confirm status and wellbeing, as geographical and other factors allow.
“A deputy was not able to make direct contact with Martinez and she was not removed from the Missing and Unidentified Persons System.”
The Journal noted that Martinez was active on Instagram the entire time she was reportedly missing.
On Sept. 17, Martinez told her followers she was “giving up” her phone and social media for several weeks.
“HI ALL i’m giving up my phone and social media for the next several weeks, so if you need to contact me, welll… tough luck!” she wrote on Instagram.
She started posting again Nov. 23, after she was reported missing.
“It's also worth noting that there are lots of similarities between Martinez's profile on the Bachelor website, which went up Jan. 1, and her missing persons report on the AG's website,” the Journal wrote.
Last month Martinez tweeted that the worst part of not having her cell phone during filming was “when the producers told us about the kylie jenner pregnancy rumors and i couldn’t spend 3+ hours internet sleuthing.”
On Friday, she tweeted out the link to the Journal’s story about the mix-up, helping it go viral.
“MOM. how many times do I have to tell you I don’t get cell service on The Bachelor??” she tweeted.
She followed it up with another tweet: “Honestly the scariest thing about this story is that my efforts to conceal The Worst Drivers License Photo Of All Time have been thwarted.”