After much anticipation, work will start next month on the extensive Johnson County Gateway Project, a complete overhaul of the Kansas 10, Interstate 35 and I-435 interchange that will last until the end of 2016.
The Missouri House gave final approval Wednesday to a $620 million tax cut bill, setting the stage for a showdown with Gov. Jay Nixon. Nixon, a Democrat, is expected to veto the measure. But GOP legislative leaders are hopeful they’ll muster enough support for an override. Republicans hold 108 seats in the Missouri House, only one shy of a veto-proof two-thirds majority. Democratic Rep. Jeff Roorda of Jefferson County joined the GOP in support of the bill Wednesday.
Chiefs receiver Dwayne Bowe pleaded guilty Wednesday in Riverside Municipal Court to amended charges of defective equipment and littering relating to his Nov. 10 arrest for marijuana possession. The city prosecutor, Amy Ashefford, said Bowe paid $610 in fines.
- Entertainment: Jason Derulo, Jordin Sparks, Jay Z, Annie Leibovitz, Miley Cyrus
- Rails arrive for downtown streetcar line
- Four confirmed dead, hundreds missing as ferry sinks off coast of South Korea,
- NY Auto show features new Mustang, Corvette, Maserati
- Prince George, Puppies and Cricket as Royals visit Australia, New Zealand
- Dancing with the Stars features Disney songs and eliminations
- InterContinental Hotels employee gala
- Fans disappointed after Miley Cyrus cancels Sprint Center concert
- Training for the Mothers Day 5K: Week 3
- Easter egg hunt at Belton Assembly of God
- Belton Spring Fling
- Leawood Eggstravaganza
- Soccer fans watch FC Kansas City take on Sky Blue FC
- Roller Derby double-header
- Prairie Village Earth Fair
- Wyandotte County Ethnic Festival
- Rock the Parkway half-marathon and 5K
- Puppets for the Planet Festival
People arrive feeling a mixture of emotions ranging from sadness to anxiety to defiance in the face of hatred after Sundays attack that left two dead in the parking lot, and a third victim at the Village Shalom senior living center nearby.
Chelsea Clinton says she's happy right now with her elected representatives but might come for their jobs if that changes. Clinton, 34, daughter of former President Bill Clinton and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, told Fast Company that she has always denied any interest in running for office.
Still wondering why Channel 9 pushed meteorologist Lisa Teachman out the door earlier this year? So is she. I still dont know what happened, Teachman said Wednesday, the day after it was announced shell be joining KCTV-5s morning show.
Now solidified as Missouri’s starting quarterback, Maty Mauk wants to command the offense more than stun the defense. “I want to stay in the pocket more,” Mauk said. “Last year, I didn’t get thrown in because I knew I was going in there when James got hurt, but I wasn’t as ready as I am now.”
The former governor and health and human services secretary is reportedly interested in a campaign against incumbent Pat Roberts, but Sebelius would not be the favorite if she ran.
A minor ailment bothering veteran lefty Bruce Chen has reconfigured the Royals’ starting rotation. With Chen nursing a tight left glute muscle, manager Ned Yost scratched him from his start on Thursday at Minute Maid Park. In his place, he moved up James Shields to replace Chen and tabbed Jason Vargas to start on Friday. Chen will attempt to return to the mound on Saturday when the team plays host to Minnesota.
Theresa Vails job has included a lot of cameras and fashionable clothing since she won the Miss Kansas crown last year. Friday and Saturday she got a look at a future that will contain more of the same when she reliquishes her crown June 7.
Bless his heart, Shabazz Napiers bizarre claim that he goes to bed "starving" actually led to a small show of progress from the NCAA. If nothing else, this is a shining neon symbol about just how little leverage and credibility the NCAA has because, lets be honest, Shabazz Napier is not going to bed starving.
A small study of casual marijuana smokers has turned up evidence of changes in the brain, a possible sign of trouble ahead, researchers say. The young adults who volunteered for the study were not dependent on pot, nor did they show any marijuana-related problems. "What we think we are seeing here is a very early indication of what becomes a problem later on with prolonged use," things like lack of focus and impaired judgment, said Dr. Hans Breiter, a study author.
Lawyers for supporters and opponents of Kansas Citys streetcars sparred at a hearing to determine the legality of a new taxing district that could help fund extensions to the downtown starter route. Meanwhile, Trucks began unloading rail for the Kansas City streetcar project on Wednesday in downtown Kansas City.
Thousands of fans who were disappointed by the cancellation of the Miley Cyrus show on Tuesday can hope she will return on another date, but as of now, no plans have been announced to reschedule the Sprint Center show or tonight’s show at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis.
Marlon Wayans isnt trying to change the world. He just wants to change your mood. He is known for kooky characters, but on a Friday afternoon he is no caricature. Decked out in jeans and a heather-blue sweater, he looks more athlete than class clown. Hes a hugger. And when he talks about his work, he talks about humility.
A 3-year-old boy feared missing by his mother was found safe and sound, playing with stuffed animals inside an arcade claw machine in Lincoln, Neb., Tuesday.
Blogs and columns
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement to Donnie Wahlberg on 'The View'
- Miss Kansas Theresa Vail to host hunting show for Outdoors Channel
- B.B. King apologizes for bad St. Louis show
- Miley Cyrus cancels St. Louis show, tweets from hospital
- George Brett, who inspired the song Royals, finally meets Lorde
- Missouri legislature passes $620 million tax cut, Nixon signals possible veto
- NYT says Sebelius is considering taking on Roberts for Senate, but local Democrats doubtful
- Schweich hauls in $257K
- BuzzChatter Wednesday: It’s easy to complain about the tax code
- Dole barnstorming through eastern Kansas. Is he really not running for anything?