The news doesn’t improve for holiday travelers in the Kansas City area. The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm warning for the eastern Kansas and west-central Missouri, saying there’s a chance for freezing rain and snow, beginning overnight Friday.
After sitting laying out his freshman year, Landen Lucas was beginning to think that he might have to wait another season to break into the regular rotation. “I didn’t know if I was really going to get a chance,” he said. But last Saturday night in the Jayhawks’ 80-63 victory over New Mexico, Lucas scored two points and grabbed five rebounds in 10 minutes, giving Kansas some increased production as the team’s fourth big man.
It’s been 20 years since Missouri rallied past Illinois in triple overtime in the most famous battle in the Bud Light Braggin’ Rights series. The Tigers’ thrilling 108-107 victory set the bar pretty darn high for the 33rd edition at 4:30 p.m. Saturday at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis.
- Entertainment Paulina Rubio, Beyonce, Beth Behrs, Colbie Caillat
- Star Shots : Best photos from Dec. 19, 2013
- Liberty North 43, St. Thomas Aquinas 31
- Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith leads the team
- Entertainment Justin Bieber, Usher, Jaden Smith, Adele
- NICU photographer Jessica Strom captures tiny babies
- Union Station Holiday Cheer
- Friends of Special People Christmas party
- Night Train Run toy-wrapping party
- Jingle Bell Run/Walk
- Liberty Winter Carnival
- Down Syndrome Guild Holiday Party
- Kris Kringle 5K & Holiday Extravaganza
- Public Enemies Pancake Breakfast
- Acoustic Christmas concertgoers
- Roller Warriors Girls Flat Track Derby
- Pipefitters union Local 533 Christmas Party
- Ugly Sweater Run
The other day, Dan Shaughnessy of the Boston Globe became a bit of a cult hero among a lot of us who write about sports for a living. Headlines dont always capture the essence of a piece, but this one was pretty good: Your sports columnist is here to write, not root.
Warning: You’re about to experience cuteness overload. But ’tis the season, after all.
Aviation Technical Services plans to lease 607,000 square feet at the huge base and invest $7 million in the facility. It said the operation could eventually grow to 1,000 jobs.
Royals designated hitter Billy Butler was back in Kansas City on Friday to do a little Christmas shopping, but took time out to laud the club for its recent acquisitions and express optimism about 2014.
So who’s the bigger, badder action hero, Chuck Norris or Jean-Claude Van Damme? Decide for yourself after watching Norris’ parody of Van Damme’s gravity-defying epic splits between two Volvo trucks.
When the A&E network suspended "Duck Dynasty" patriarch Phil Robertson for disparaging gay people, it may have followed a time-honored TV tradition of quickly silencing a star who, for better or worse, speaks his mind. But in doing so it also ruffled the feathers of possibly millions of fans of its most popular show.
Dugan Arnett's story of a Maryville teen's sexual encounter sparked nationwide fury, as did a rodeo clown's portrayal of President Barack Obama at the Missouri State Fair. Both stories were among the most read this year, but readers were interested in more than controversy. Other top stories included Kanye West's performance at Sprint Center, the clearing of an underground homeless camp and Miss Kansas Theresa Vail's opera singing.
Potential victims of credit card fraud tied to Target's security breach said they had trouble contacting the discounter through its website and call centers.
As he waits for a new trial in his murder case, he is spending the holidays with his family for the first time in 15 years. “I’ve never had a Christmas with my nieces and nephews,” he said.
The bowls have arrived with the first of 35 kicking off Saturday in Albuquerque, N.M., with Washington State taking on Colorado State in the Gildan New Mexico Bowl. Feast at this years bowl buffet with our viewers guide.
Olympic figure skating champion Brian Boitano came out Thursday, two days after he was named to the U.S. delegation for Sochi along with openly gay athletes Billie Jean King and Caitlin Cahow.
New appliances, a fridge filled with food and presents under the tree. Already the newly restored inner city bungalow felt like home to LaToya Caldwell and her four kids as they toured it for the first time Thursday. The house was one of two presented by Jackson County Executive Mike Sanders.
Throughout the past month, The Star's Jeneé Osterheldt shared her tips for giving gifts that don't come with a big price tag: gifts of experience, charity and food and drink. This week, Kansas Citians shared their favorite gifts as the countdown to Christmas gets shorter.
Blogs and columns
- Chuck Norris does ‘splits’ between two airplanes: Take that, Van Damme!
- 'Duck Dynasty' controversy: The Robertson family official statement
- Robertson's suspension ruffles feathers of 'Duck Dynasty' fans
- Nigella Lawson's ex-assistants acquitted of fraud
- Jury: Portrait of Fawcett should stay with O'Neal
- Update: Alan Gaylin of Bread & Butter Concepts named as KC Restaurateur of the Year
- New Thai restaurant Lemongrass to open in downtown Overland Park
- Carmens Cafe in Leawood undergoes makeover
- MeMas Old-Fashioned Bakery moving to Wyandotte Plaza in KCK
- Corbin Park updates: Sprouts Farmers Market sets opening, Spin in negotiations?
- Winter weather at Arrowhead could be game-changer for Chiefs, fans
- The Star’s NFL Predictions
- Chiefs mailbag: Forget MVP, is Jamaal Charles a future Hall of Famer?
- Chiefs’ Jamaal Charles, Tamba Hali and Dustin Colquitt lead Pro Bowl balloting at their positions
- Jamaal Charles and the Chiefs rewrite the record book while thumping the Raiders
- Trevor Admas reaching new heights with Northwest Missouri
- Division II championship preview: Northwest Missouri vs. Lenoir-Rhyne
- College bowl season arrives Saturday
- Northwest Missouri’s Matt Longacre wins Division II defensive player of the year award
- His media blackout lifted, Missouri’s Michael Sam now sings like a bird
- Before 2013 fades from view, here was the year that was
- Job numbers great in Kansas — and maybe better in MissouriJob numbers great in Kansas — and maybe better in Missouri
- Leave ‘Yesterday’ in the past
- Now you can register online in Missouri
- BuzzChatter Friday: Roberts’ foe snares endorsement from Jim Ryun