Paul Temme chased the gunman while on the phone with police, then locked eyes with the man. The shooter raised a handgun and fired at least once. What upsets Temme more than getting shot at, he said, is the bigotry and the hatred behind the shootings. Its horrifying to see, the actual remnants of that bigotry, he said.
Miley Cyrus, who was scheduled to perform at the Sprint Center Tuesday night, canceled her concert and is in the hospital after a severe allergic reaction to antibiotics. Despite lightning communication through social media, some fans showed up hoping to see a show.
Think you know Kansas City? Take a crack at Inks Easter Egg Hunt. Within this gallery are egg-shaped photos and hard-boiled haiku hints by Don Munday to help you along on a tour of some of Cowtowns treasures.
- Fans disappointed after Miley Cyrus cancels Sprint Center concert
- Training for the Mothers Day 5K: Week 3
- Easter egg hunt at Belton Assembly of God
- Belton Spring Fling
- Leawood Eggstravaganza
- Soccer fans watch FC Kansas City take on Sky Blue FC
- Roller Derby double-header
- Prairie Village Earth Fair
- Wyandotte County Ethnic Festival
- Rock the Parkway half-marathon and 5K
- Puppets for the Planet Festival
- Overland Park Farmers Market opens for 2014
The Watch DOGS Dads of Great Students puts volunteers in classrooms with the aim of being a positive male influence and an unobtrusive security presence. The national program, part of the Kansas City-based National Center for Fathering, was started in 1998 with the goal of making schools safer but has evolved to include academic support and direct interaction with students, catching on across the country in the process.
Movie theaters are facing increased competition for consumers entertainment dollars, but a seven-figure renovation of the 18-year-old AMC Town Center 20 in Leawood is designed to get consumers off the couch and into the theaters by elevating the experience.
The anniversary of the Boston Marathon bombings was marked with a solemn wreath-laying ceremony Tuesday morning, the first tribute in a day dedicated to honoring the three people who died, the more than 260 people who were injured and those who rushed to help them. Here's a round-up of stories and videos published throughout the nation on the anniversary.
Newcomer to Sprint Cup series currently in 14th place in points standings.
During the eclipse early this morning, the moons appearance changed from bright orange to blood red to dark brown and gray. This eclipse is the start of a lunar eclipse tetrad, a series of four consecutive total eclipses.
Two Raytown neighborhoods missed Google’s sign-up requirements, so the company won’t sell it’s mega-broadband Internet there. But it will hook up homes in 73 other neighborhoods.
A lot of muscle has lined up to combat rape and sexual assault on campuses, including President Barack Obama, who has called on college administrators to act.
Twitter Tuesday: trading Eric Berry, overreacting to the Royals, dismissing DGB, Andy Reid hot dog race
Theres been more than enough of the other end, including here, so lets flip the script and talk about the five most encouraging parts of this very young Royals season.
When it comes to searching out berry dessert recipes, quick and easy is a mantra repeated across Google and Pinterest. Bonus: These simple, eye-catching desserts also tend to be crowd-pleasing.
This is the meeting weve all been waiting for, isnt it? George Brett will finally get to meet Lorde in Las Vegas tonight, according to TMZ. A vintage photo of Brett inspired the title of the singers monster hit, Royals.
Two days before Javonte Slayden was lured out of a relative’s house and fatally shot in Kansas City, he gave a photo of his alleged killer to a friend. If anything happened to him, Slayden told his friend on April 4, look for the people in the photograph to be responsible, according to court records. One of the men in the photo, Deandre Whitley, 22, of Kansas City, is charged with first-degree murder and armed criminal action.
Plans for upgrading Kansas City International Airport will remain up in the air even after a citizens task force releases its final report in a few weeks. That’s not a bad outcome.
History isnt always framed or boxed or bound. It is alive in the Northland at sites like the James farm, Watkins Woolen Mill State Historic Site and Shoal Creek Living History Museum. 816 North set out to discover the areas living history sites and the people who are breathing life into the tales of legendary and ordinary Missourians.
Blogs and columns
- Report: George Brett, who inspired the song Royals, finally meeting Lorde
- Malcolm Young's possible illness sparks rumors of AC/DC's retirement
- KC comic book writer Jason Aarons Scalped heading to TV
- Miley Cyrus hospitalized; Sprint Center show canceled
- Southwest flight attendants hilarious safety talk goes viral (with video)
- Dole barnstorming through eastern Kansas. Is he really not running for anything?
- BuzzChatter Tuesday: McCaskill, Demo senators urge Obama to get moving on Keystone
- Voter ID again pits Republicans against Democrats in Missouri
- Dilemma in reporting on extremism: Ignore it, or expose it?
- Shooting reaction: Senseless, tragic UPDATED