The weather is about to take a turn for the worse, with freezing rain likely early Friday and a wintry mix over the weekend. There's a freezing rain advisory for much of the area through 9 a.m. Friday. A light icing on the roads is possible for the Friday morning commute.
Aviation Technical Services plans to lease 607,000 square feet at the huge base and invest $7 million in the facility. It said the operation could eventually grow to 1,000 jobs.
The Chiefs are glad to have the returner/wide receiver back after his week dealing with an infected ankle.
- Friends of Special People Christmas party
- Night Train Run toy-wrapping party
- Jingle Bell Run/Walk
- Liberty Winter Carnival
- Down Syndrome Guild Holiday Party
- Kris Kringle 5K & Holiday Extravaganza
- Public Enemies Pancake Breakfast
- Acoustic Christmas concertgoers
- Roller Warriors Girls Flat Track Derby
- Pipefitters union Local 533 Christmas Party
- Ugly Sweater Run
- Merriams Santa Arrival and Christmas Dinner
When the A&E network suspended "Duck Dynasty" patriarch Phil Robertson for disparaging gay people, it may have followed a time-honored TV tradition of quickly silencing a star who, for better or worse, speaks his mind. But in doing so it also ruffled the feathers of possibly millions of fans of its most popular show.
Potential victims of credit card fraud tied to Target's security breach said they had trouble contacting the discounter through its website and call centers.
As he waits for a new trial in his murder case, he is spending the holidays with his family for the first time in 15 years. “I’ve never had a Christmas with my nieces and nephews,” he said.
Olympic figure skating champion Brian Boitano came out Thursday, two days after he was named to the U.S. delegation for Sochi along with openly gay athletes Billie Jean King and Caitlin Cahow.
Justin Kraemer says he thought he had a job waiting for him in Colorado Springs when he was fired from KSN earlier this week for accidentally letting an expletive fly on-air. Now, hes looking for another job. Kraemer said Thursday that he had been in the final stages of negotiating for a job at KOAA-TV, the NBC affiliate in Colorado Springs, when the story about his slip-up went viral. On Thursday morning, station managers called and told him they couldnt offer him a job after all.
Kansas City plays a role in two big movies opening Friday: In Saving Mr. Banks, Walt Disney (Tom Hanks) recounts the hardships of his childhood in Kansas City. And in Inside Llewyn Davis, a KC musician gets an unlucky role.
Kansas needs great universities that do not suppress speech, ideas or blog posts. The Board of Regents should get this confusing, stifling policy off its books.
Five of the six soldiers killed in Monday’s helicopter crash in southern Afghanistan were from Fort Riley, authorities said Thursday.
The wounded tactical officer, a 15-year veteran, was doing well after being treated at a hospital, police said. The alleged gunman, Joel Bravard, 26, was found shot in the head in a house in the city’s Northeast area after a standoff.
The best way to remember the best rock and roll band of all time is to listen to something else.
The Unified Board of Commissioners unanimously approved a measure that provides notice of a change to the development plan in the Village West area where the Kansas City T-Bones play. A sales agreement is being negotiated.
Gaylin leads Bread & Butter Concepts, owners of several area concepts — BRGR Kitchen + Bar in Prairie Village and the Power & Light District, Urban Table in Prairie Village, Gram & Dun on the Country Club Plaza and Taco Republic in Kansas City, Kan. Other award winners announced by the Missouri Restaurant Association and the Greater Kansas City Restaurant Association.
The bowl season arrives Saturday with the first four of 35 games. Until then, feast at this years bowl buffet with our viewers guide.
Blogs and columns
- Update: Alan Gaylin of Bread & Butter Concepts named as KC Restaurateur of the Year
- New Thai restaurant Lemongrass to open in downtown Overland Park
- Carmens Cafe in Leawood undergoes makeover
- MeMas Old-Fashioned Bakery moving to Wyandotte Plaza in KCK
- Corbin Park updates: Sprouts Farmers Market sets opening, Spin in negotiations?
- Chiefs mailbag: Forget MVP, is Jamaal Charles a future Hall of Famer?
- Chiefs’ Jamaal Charles, Tamba Hali and Dustin Colquitt lead Pro Bowl balloting at their positions
- Jamaal Charles and the Chiefs rewrite the record book while thumping the Raiders
- Chiefs blitz: A look at the good, bad and ugly from Sundays win over the Raiders
- Halftime report: Chiefs 35, Raiders 17
- A big bowl of football awaits
- Northwest Missouri’s Matt Longacre wins Division II defensive player of the year award
- His media blackout lifted, Missouri’s Michael Sam now sings like a bird
- Missouri coach Frank Haith says his roster rotation is still in flux
- Few honors, but plenty of production for Northwest Missouri’s offense