The magician’s show lasted about 80 minutes. Bruce Chen mystified the Indians for four innings and 12 batters. The performance ended in a swift and painful fashion for the Royals, who fell 5-1 after Chen imploded.
Drivers who traverse Interstate 35 on the Kansas side can expect to wrestle with construction at three interchanges, starting with a ramp closure on Friday and more closures into next week. These projects are not part of the massive Johnson County Gateway Project scheduled to begin early next month at the Kansas 10, Interstate 35 and I-435 interchange.
If you put much stock in basketball recruiting rankings, the rich continue to get richer in the Big 12 and Southeastern conferences. Kansas features two players in the top six of Rivals final top 150 rankings for the class of 2014, which were released on Thursday morning. Kentucky has four players in the top 30. Defending SEC champ Florida boasts three signees in the top 50.
- Excellence in Education Banquet
- Show-Me State Games Torch Run
- Easter Parade at Zona Rosa
- Sporting KC vs. Montreal Impact fans
- Hyde Park Spring Frolic and Egg Hunt
- Down Syndrome Guild of Greater Kansas City Prom
- Community of Christ Church Easter Carnival
- The 87th annual Kansas Relays
- New Life Family Church Spring Festival
- Westport Easter SpEGGtacular
- Southcreek Office Park Easter Egg 5K and Bunny Fun Run
- Good Friday on the Plaza
Maybe another movie will come along like Bridesmaids that pairs funny women with an actual plot. Until then, The Other Woman joins The Heat and similar wannabes in wasting legitimate comedic chemistry on 80s sitcom formulas.
The firm plans to lease 65,000 square feet in the building at 4800 Main St. The building was bought in January by Mariner Real Estate Management LLC of Leawood. It lost its main tenant last summer when the Chicago Mercantile Exchange halted operations there, ending more than a century of grain trading in Kansas City.
Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles is coming off another brilliant season in which he led the NFL with 19 touchdowns and ranked second in yards from scrimmage with 1,980. So whom does he want to emulate this season?
Live musics busy season is now upon us. Heres a look at some of the best shows rolling into town over the next week or so. Arcade Fires previous Kansas City show, in April 2011, topped many best-concert lists that year. This time, the seven-member band is touring on Reflektor, its most-recent album, and one that requires a larger ensemble of musicians.
Fred W. Sauceman introduces his new book Buttermilk & Bible Burgers with some reflections on what Appalachia is to him. As the one-year anniversary of Chow Town draws near, lets reflect on what Kansas Citys culinary scene is to us. Here are my 52:
There’s plenty of speculation about who Missouri will hire as its next men’s basketball coach, but only one candidate is known to have been contacted by someone affiliated with the Tigers’ search: Central Missouri coach Kim Anderson. So who else are the Tigers targeting to succeed Frank Haith as the search closes in on one week? We order the possibilities.
The NFL has officially released its 2014 schedule. The Chiefs will open the regular season at home against the Tennessee Titans on Sept. 7 and also will face the Patriots on Monday Night Football on Sept. 29 and the Broncos on Sunday Night Football on Nov. 30, both at Arrowhead.
If they plan it we will come? Well see on Fathers Day weekend. Plans are underway to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Field of Dreams. Sports stars scheduled to play include former Royals pitcher Bret Saberhagen.
A player-led movement to bring back a fired William Chrisman High School girls basketball coach is headed to the hallways. A week after 11 students wrote letters to the Independence School District Board of Education, voicing their anger and confusion over the firing of Lindsay Thompson, the players and coach said they have received no clear explanation from school or district administration as to why she was dismissed as coach.
His Royal Highness Prince Sultan bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al-Saud, a grandson of Saudi Arabias ruler, came to Kansas City for opening ceremonies of the Roads of Arabia exhibition at the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art on Wednesday. Museum officials and the prince himself say the collection of 200-plus artifacts, excavated over the last four decades, shows that Arabia was not some distant desert outpost but a center of culture and innovation.
The five Kansas City area runners featured in a Sunday Star story completed the historic Boston Marathon on Monday during an emotional day for the city and for the cheering crowds estimated at 1 million people.
A fresh report from the U.S. Census Bureau concludes that a 21st century trend of increasing turnout among young voters has kicked into reverse. Voting, it seems, remains the domain of geezers.
The Federal Communications Commission is set to propose new open Internet rules that would allow content companies to pay for faster delivery over the so-called "last mile" connection to people's homes, but enhance scrutiny of such deals so they don't harm competition or limit free speech.
Blogs and columns
- From the ashes, JJs restaurant will come back in Plaza Vista building
- Skechers opening first Kansas City-area outlet store in Overland Park
- New coffee and vintage furnishings shop for antique district
- Kiss co-founders Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley set Rock & Brews opening in Overland Park
- Restaurant health code violations for April 21
- Chiefs’ Jamaal Charles chooses an interesting role model: Peyton Manning
- Chiefs’ Rishaw Johnson will get first chance to start at right guard
- K-State tackle, NFL prospect Cornelius Lucas recovers from foot injury
- Chiefs have good turnout on first day of offseason workouts
- Chiefs QB Alex Smith to get honorary doctorate from Utah
- NCAA board endorses more power for big schools
- KU has two recruits in top six of Rivals class of 2014 basketball rankings
- Taking stock of Missouri’s basketball coaching search as it nears one week old
- Shaka Smart has passed up other chances to leave VCU
- Video: Blair Kerkhoff discusses Missouri's coaching wish list