With two weeks remaining in the balloting, Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles continues to rank among the top five vote-getters for the 2014 Pro Bowl, and outside linebacker Tamba Hali, offensive tackle Branden Albert, and punter Dustin Colquitt are the top vote-getters at their positions.
Soccer, volleyball and football national championships are coming to the Kansas City area from 2014 to 2018, including the Division I men’s College Cup, soccer’s final four, at Sporting Park in the fall of 2015, and the Division II football championship beginning next December through 2017 at Sporting Park.
Dec. 31 will be here before you know it, and almost every nightclub, bar, tavern or restaurant will have something going on. Here are some of the biggest celebrations and select others so you can make plans and reservations for New Years Eve.
- Acoustic Christmas concertgoers
- Roller Warriors Girls Flat Track Derby
- Pipefitters union Local 533 Christmas Party
- Ugly Sweater Run
- Merriams Santa Arrival and Christmas Dinner
- Red Stocking Breakfast
- Missions Holiday Lights and Festive Sights
- Prairie Village Tree Lighting 2013
- Red X Wine Tasting
- Kanye West concertgoers at the Sprint Center
- Chiefs vs. Broncos tailgaters
- Toys and crafts shows at KCI Expo
House Republicans are rallying behind a modest budget pact that promises to bring a temporary halt to budget brinkmanship in Washington and ease automatic budget cuts that would otherwise slam the Pentagon and domestic agencies for a second straight year.
Citing a potential threat to public health, the Food and Drug Administration is taking steps toward phasing out the use of some antibiotics in animals processed for meat. If the drug companies sign on, using those antibiotics to promote growth in animals would be illegal.
Coach Frank Haiths team is further along at this stage than last seasons talented-but-erratic group, which was less than the sum of its parts. And it has the apparent mesh, versatility and defensive mind-set to give it a chance to become a team to watch instead of one to fret over if the attitude is as good as Haith thinks it is.
Eighteen thousand arena seats. Sixteen thousand first-class hotel rooms. Three hundred fifty air-conditioned buses. Five thousand volunteers. Those requirements and scores of others are included in a document recently sent to Kansas City and more than a dozen other cities. Kansas City convention officials say the to-do list is long but not impossible to meet.
The man accused of faking sign interpretation while standing alongside world leaders like U.S. President Barack Obama at Nelson Mandela's memorial service said Thursday he hallucinated that angels were entering the stadium, suffers from schizophrenia and has been violent in the past.
In this issue, were looking at some of the best food and drinks featured in our pages this year. Were talking fat food-truck cheeseburgers, rainbow-colored vegan nachos, sugar-coated scones, crazy-good mac and cheese, quenching and flavorful beer and icy Moscow Mules that kept us cool on the hottest days of summer. Enjoy the feast because we sure did.
The questions keep nagging: Whats appeasing a middle-class itch to give back and whats substantially helping? Does the broader picture even matter when the wind chill is 9 degrees?
Keeping the status quo at Kansas City International Airport isn’t a viable option. The mayor’s task force needs to recommend the best ways to make KCI more attractive to airlines so more flights will come in and leave this region. And voters eventually should get to say whether they like any final plan.
It’s easy to get caught up in the buzz of the holiday shopping season even as the baseball industry begins dispersing Thursday from its annual Winter Meetings. That includes the Royals, of course, even with their limited payroll flexibility. They remained linked to several free agents, including infielder Omar Infante and right-handed pitcher Jason Hammel.
Were fairly certain that supermodel Gisele Bundchen, wife of NFL quarterback Tom Brady, didnt expect this kind of backlash to her Instagram photo. On Tuesday, she posted a photo of herself breastfeeding her 1-year-old daughter, Vivian, while having three people work on her hair, makeup and nails before a photo shoot.
By the end of November, about 365,000 Americans had selected a health insurance plan through HealthCare.gov, the government reported. Health and Human Services had estimated that by now 1.2 million users would have registered. But HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius told a House subcommittee in a hearing that she was encouraged.
So, is Taylor Swift leggy enough, busty enough, tall enough and pretty enought to be a Victorias Secret underwear model? You should know by now if you caught the lingerie companys annual fashion show Tuesday night.
The Acoustic Christmas concert Wednesday night at the Midland theater, sponsored by country music station WDAF-FM, drew fans of Tate Stevens and other performers by offering tickets in exchange for donations of unwrapped presents to the Salvation Army.
Blogs and columns
- Chiefs’ Jamaal Charles remains among top vote-getters for Pro Bowl
- NFL makes some scoring changes to Chiefs-Washington game
- Chiefs’ Albert to miss practice; Houston, Fasano to be limited
- Chiefs’ Hali is AFC Defensive Player of Week
- Snap-count observations: Hemingway is Chiefs clear-cut fourth receiver
- Former Truman volleyball player wins national Academic All-American award
- Kansas City, Sporting Park win with NCAA championship selections
- K-State’s Ryan Mueller, Tyler Lockett win Big 12 coaches’ individual awards
- KC, other cities will learn NCAA title sites today
- Missouri, Kansas dominate coaches’ all-region teams
- BuzzChatter Thursday: How predictable was this? Roberts comes out against budget deal
- Midwestern admiration society grows
- BuzzChatter Wednesday: Obama brings Podesta back to the White House, and Washington says “’bout time”
- Longtime strategist Pat Gray left out of medical levy campaign in its final days, email shows
- Fact check: How often did Obama and Sebelius REALLY meet?