SURPRISE, Ariz. The ball is hanging in the Arizona sky, a white speck in a cloudless blue, hurtling into the distance. Did you see that one? It clears the fence in right-center and keeps going, leaving onlookers to gawk and guess. How far did that one go? Had to be 425, right?Another pitch, and the same sound, a pure crack straight from Hollywood sound effects. This ball is moving in the opposite direction, a screamer toward left-center, a one-hopper against the fence. Eric Hosmer recoils, loosening his muscles for just a second before returning to that familiar pose. Hands back, knees bent, bat pointing slightly back, ready to strike. Its a warm Arizona morning in early March, and the Royals will play a spring-training game in a few hours. But for now, they are here, taking a few hacks on the clubs main practice field. Hosmer looks at the pitcher. George Brett looks back at him. Batting practice continues.
- Yosts big project is shaping Royals into a winner
- Mellinger | No handbook for dealing with fame
- Royals top question is how rotation performs
- Royals face looming salary issues in coming years
- Bubba Starlings baseball education is just beginning
- Get ready for the next wave of Royals
Tuesday: Top Deals
- On the Border – One free kids’ meal with each paid adult entree (through December 28th — show coupon on mobile device or print)
- Penny Prints at Snapfish – use the code NEWYEAR13 at checkout and you will pay around $0.07 per print shipped
- Shutterfly is offering 2 free 8×10 prints! Just claim the offer on their Facebook page through January 6, 2013.