Friday, February 28, 2014
A surveillance video shows the explosion at JJ's restaurant after a massive explosion rocked the area just west of the Country Club Plaza Tuesday night. (Feb. 19, 2013 Video courtesy of Shelton Travel Service)
Founded by Jimmy Frantze and his brother, lawyer David Frantze, JJs was known for its wine list. But it lost business in the shadow of the troubled former West Edge project.
Megan Cramer, 46, grew up in Springfield and came to Kansas City to attend UMKC, where she earned a law degree.
Authorities pulled a body out of the rubble of JJs restaurant today. Meanwhile, five victims of the explosion remain at KU Hospital, and one at St. Lukes.
House of Elan suffered disruptions, its owner says, and now it might be beyond repair.
JJs restuarant is gone and one of his staff is still missing. Jimmy Frantze is focused, just as he has been since hearing the news that the restaurant has exploded while he was in Oklahoma on other business.
After Megan Cramer died in the Tuesday explosion, friends went inside her Kansas City apartment. With her belongings and her stacks and stacks of books was a birthday card all filled out for a friend. It was like Megan, friends and family say, to remember someone else. And to be early. Her friend's birthday isnt until June.
To some people, JJs, the edge-of-the-Plaza restaurant leveled by a gas explosion Tuesday night, had the best and deepest wine list in town. To others, JJs was a white-tablecloth dining room for special events, power lunches, tender steaks and sumptuous seafood. JJs was a down-to-earth place that felt like a hideaway.
Kansas City officials say no permit was issued to the company drilling outside JJs before the explosion and fire that leveled the restaurant.
A more extensive investigation into the circumstances surrounding the blast near the Plaza will be conducted by the Missouri Public Service Commission and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
Why did the Kansas City Fire Department fail to evacuate the popular Country Club Plaza area restaurant during a large natural gas leak, even though firefighters arrived on the scene about an hour before the blast?