The scoop on bathroom faucet options

Updated: 2014-02-16T02:05:15Z



I’m looking to replace my bathroom faucet and will be going to the supply center soon to choose a new one. Can you please give me some basic bathroom faucet information that may help me choose?

It’s nice to know that the message of doing some “homework” before doing some “home work” is getting around. Choosing bathroom faucets can get a little confusing because you’re usually dealing with many different categories. To keep things simple here are three popular types of bathroom faucets and the sink faucet holes needed for each one:

•  Widespread faucets: Fits “three-hole” bathroom sinks with faucet holes at least 8 inches apart when measuring from the center of each outside hole. Widespread faucets have three “separate” components consisting of a faucet spout, hot handle assembly and cold handle assembly.

•  Centerset faucets: Fits “three-hole” bathroom sinks with faucet holes having a spread of 4 inches apart from the center of each outside hole. Centerset faucets are a compact one-piece faucet with the spout and handle(s) attached to a deck mount unit.

•  Single-hole faucets: Like the name says, fits “single-hole” bathroom sinks. Usually available in single-handle operation with taller spouts than standard bathroom faucets. Be careful though, single-hole faucets can be a higher-end product that may end up costing you double the money.

Ed Del Grande is a master contractor/plumber and author of the book “Ed Del Grande’s House Call.”

Deal Saver Subscribe today!


The Kansas City Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Kansas City Star uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here