The morning commute in Kansas City started messily with numerous crashes on highways that still have icy patches from this weeks winter storm.
Southbound U.S. 69/Overland Parkway was closed south of 87th Street Parkway in Overland Park when a car hit the back tractor-trailer. The two vehicles collided shortly after 6 a.m. and injured one person, who was taken to a hospital with minor injuries.
The southbound lanes reopened shortly before 8 a.m.
A string of crashes started popping up in other areas in the Kansas City area, according to the Kansas City Scout system:
• A crash about 5:30 a.m. on northbound Interstate 35 near West Pennway Street closed two lanes and the right shoulder. It was cleared shortly before 6 a.m.
• A two-vehicle crash about 6:35 a.m. on southbound Interstate 435 past Missouri 210 closed two lanes and the left shoulder. All lanes opened at shortly after 7 a.m. The crash was cleared about 7:50 a.m.
• A two-vehicle crash about 6:50 a.m. on southbound Interstate 35/29 near Missouri 210/Armour Boulevard closed the two left lanes and left shoulder. For a while, only one lane was open.
• A crash about 6:52 a.m. on westbound Interstate 70 past Interstate 35 closed the right shoulder. The crash was cleared about 7:30 a.m.
• A multi-vehicle crash about 6:55 a.m. on northbound Interstate 35 at Front Street closed the right and left lanes and both shoulders. The crash was cleared about 7:30 a.m.
• A two-vehicle crash at 6:59 a.m. on northbound Interstate 435 ramp to Bannister Road. Drivers were warned to be prepared to stop. The crash was cleared about 7:50 a.m.
• A two-vehicle crash about 7:05 a.m. on northbound Interstate 635 near Interstate 70 closed the two left lanes.
• A crash about 7:10 a.m. happened on northbound Interstate 435 at Johnson Drive. Drivers were being warned to be prepared to stop.
• A crash about 7:25 a.m. along westbound Interstate 470 closed the ramp to eastbound U.S. 50 for awhile. Drivers were being warned to be prepared to stop. The crash was cleared about 8 a.m.
• A crash about 7:40 a.m. on southbound Interstate 35 past 27th Street closed the left land and left shoulder.
• A two-vehicle crash about 7:55 a.m. closed the two right lanes of westbound Interstate 70 near the Fairfax Trafficway.
• A two-vehicle collision about 8 a.m. along northbound Interstate 35 at Front Street closed the two left lanes and left shoulder. For a while only one lane was open.
The Clay County Sheriff warned drivers via Twitter that it may look like smooth sailing this morning, but dont be fooled! Snow has frozen on the roads and there are patches of black ice!
The Johnson County Sheriff also via Twitter warned drivers to slow down during their commute.
Lots of ice still on the road!!! Several wrecks on the highways already this morning!
Authorities also were urging drivers to allow plenty of room between vehicles.
Robert A. Cronkleton, email@example.com