Campus Corner

Wichita State remains perfect with 65-58 win over Indiana State

Updated: 2014-02-06T05:36:53Z


The Wichita Eagle

— No. 4 Wichita State remains unbeaten, its toughest test behind it, but not without plenty of anxiety.

The Shockers defeated Indiana State 65-58 on Wednesday at the Hulman Center, surviving a desperate effort by the Sycamores.

Wichita State is one of the nation’s two unbeaten teams (Syracuse is the other) and opened a three-game lead in the Missouri Valley Conference with a sweep of second-place Indiana State.

Chadrack Lufile made four free throws in the final 43 seconds, sealing the win. Cleanthony Early provided breathing room with a three-point play with 1:03 remaining that gave Wichita State a 61-56 lead.

Wichita State, 24-0 overall and 11-0 in the Missouri Valley, extended its school-record win streak despite poor foul shooting. Indiana State, 17-6 and 8-3, lost for the first time in nine games at home.

Early led Wichita State with 19 points. Manny Arop led Indiana State with 16.

Wichita State built an 11-point lead, 50-39, in the second half. It appeared to have the crowd negated and the Sycamores flummoxed. Then Indiana State started outhustling Wichita State and the tide turned. Early scored inside against a variety of defenders to awaken from a quiet first half.

The Sycamores grabbed three offensive rebounds in one trip, finally scoring to cut the lead to 52-44. After a Shocker miss, guard Dawon Cummings took the rebound from center Kadeem Coleby to start a break that ended with Jake Odum’s bank shot, making the score 52-48. Tekele Cotton missed a three-pointer, and Cummings made two free throws with 9:04 to play, cutting Wichita State’s lead to 52-50.

Indiana State’s Khristian Smith, who hurt the Sycamores with turnovers early in the half, bailed the Shockers out of a difficult situation. Indiana State played great defense and forced Cotton into an off-balance three at the end of the shot clock. He sailed into Smith, and officials whistled him for a foul. Cotton, after barely hitting rim on the first free throw, made the next two for a 54-50 lead with 8:30 to play.

Early scored on the block over two defenders and made it 56-50. But the Shockers lost center Justin Gant on a break, and Odum found him with a pitch-back for a three from the top of the key. Cotton’s layup, on a pretty pass from Baker through traffic, gave Wichita State a 58-53 lead.

Wichita State, however, broke down on offense. Darius Carter missed two free throws with 3:44 to play. A shot-clock violation gave the ball to Indiana State with 2:47 to play. Cummings blocked a three by Early. Up 58-56, Wichita State struggled to get a good shot, and Carter missed a short jumper and lost the ball off the backboard attempting a follow shot.

Five straight empty trips for the Shockers gave Indiana State a chance, down 58-56 with 1:22 to play. But they got no closer.

Deal Saver Subscribe today!


The Kansas City Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Kansas City Star uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here