Breaking News

Two hurt in Shawnee apartment fire

Updated: 2014-02-05T19:57:35Z

Two people were injured late Tuesday in a fire at a Shawnee apartment building that was started by careless smoking.

The fire was reported just after 11:30 p.m. in the 6300 block of Cottonwood Street.

Shawnee fire officials said one person was taken to a hospital with moderate burn injuries. A second person suffered minor injuries and was also taken to a hospital.

The apartment where the fire started suffered significant damage. Two other apartment units had minor damage, officials said.

Fire investigators said that the fire started after a resident fell asleep while smoking in bed.

Tony Rizzo, trizzo@kcstar.com

Deal Saver Subscribe today!

Comments

The Kansas City Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Kansas City Star uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here