With Sporting Kansas City opening its preseason exhibition schedule this afternoon against FC Tucson of the Premier Development League (kickoff is at noon, check Sporting KC's various social media outlets for coverage), it's time to update the roster.
The Kansas City Star
Yes, this is an exercise The Full 90 might have done already (and maybe another time). But things change pretty much all the time this time of year. The biggest change since those last two blogs? We now know just about every one of the trialists already. This may or may not have been the best thing to happen to SKC's blogger community in years. We might have gotten a little bit crazy on Twitter on Friday night remembering our favorite past trialists. Mine was the almost completely forgotten Danish/Algerian rail of a left winger named Adda Djeziri. He was amazing. Until he vanished. It was 21 levels of good times.
Here's just about everything you might need to know about the group of players Sporting KC will have available today and (theoretically) the rest of the Arizona trip.
• There are currently 27 players on Kansas City's active roster.
• The youngest player in camp is Erik Palmer-Brown (you might have read about him last week he's been in the news just a bit). He's 16.
• The oldest player(s) are Josh Gardner and Andy Gruenebaum. Both are 31.
• There are three notable players absent because they are training with the U.S. men's national team: Graham Zusi, Matt Besler and Benny Feilhaber. They will not be available until after the U.S. plays a friendly against South Korea on Saturday.
• Seth Sinovic is back training with the team. He was with the U.S. camp, but was among a group released back to their respective teams.
• Chance Myers was also released from training camp. But, since he remains out of contract, did not have a team to return to and isn't training with Sporting KC. (We'll have more on him tomorrow.)
• Midfielder Jimmy Medranda is currently not with the team, as he returned to Deportivo Pereira in Colombia after his loan finished. I'm told there is interest in potentially bring him back to KC in 2014, but as of right now, he's still under contract with Pereira -- which, coincidentally, opens its season today. According to at least one source on Twitter, Medranda could be returning to the U.S. The rough Spanish translation: He likely won't be on Pereira's payroll soon.
• The international transfer window slams shut this Friday. But that's only for players moving to a European club. The MLS international transfer window will likely remain open through the preseason. (The exact date hasn't been released. In the past, the window closes in April and opens again in the summer.)
• In addition to the 23 players on KC's roster in camp, there are 8 trialists with the team -- including the four players drafted during the 2014 MLS SuperDraft. You can read more about them on the team's website.
Now, the rosters. New players are listed in bold and trialists are in italics.
*-With the U.S. men's national team.