Sporting Kansas City will open its preseason schedule with a match against FC Tucson from the Premier Development League on Jan. 28. The match will take place four days after the club arrives in Tucson, Ariz., for its fourth straight year of preseason training at the Kino Sports Complex.
By SAM McDOWELL
The Kansas City Star
Sporting KC is slated to play three exhibition matches in Tucson. It will also face the Portland Timbers on Feb. 1 and Indy Eleven out of the North American Soccer League on Feb. 7 before arriving home on Feb. 8.
A week later, Sporting KC is scheduled to travel to the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in Kissimmee, Fla., to compete in the annual Walt Disney World Pro Soccer Classic for the third straight season.
Sporting KC opens the tournament with a match Feb. 19 against the New York Red Bulls, the reigning Supporters’ Shield winner. Three days later, it will face Brazilian club Fluminense FC U23 before concluding pool play Feb. 26 against the Montreal Impact.
Championship and consolation matches are scheduled for March 1.
Sporting KC will kick off the MLS regular season on March 8 in Seattle.
The full preseason schedule:
• Jan. 28: vs. FC Tucson (PDL), noon in Tucson, Ariz.
• Feb. 1: vs. Portland Timbers (MLS), 7 p.m., in Tucson, Ariz.
• Feb. 7: vs. Indy Eleven (NASL), noon in Casa Grande, Ariz.
Walt Disney Pro Soccer Classic (in Kissimmee, Fla.):
• Feb. 19: vs. New York Red Bulls (MLS), 2 p.m.
• Feb. 22: vs. Fluinense FC U23 (Brazil), 2 p.m.
• Feb. 26: vs. Montreal Impact (MLS), 7 p.m.
• March 1: Championship and consolation matches