• Key play: Freshman guard Conner Frankamp hit a three-pointer from the wing, stretching the lead to 20-12. It ignited a 14-3 run.
• Key stat: The Jayhawks had zero turnovers.
• Key play: Freshman Andrew Wiggins hit a three-pointer with 16:05 left, starting a personal run of 13 straight points.
• Key stat: Wiggins and Wayne Selden combined to shoot six of nine from three-point range.
Embiid ejected after flagrant foul
It could have been worse for KU freshman center Joel Embiid, who was ejected in the second half on Saturday after hitting K-States Nino Williams with a quick backhanded shot to the face.
The play came as Embiid headed back down the floor on defense after both players had battled for position. Embiid was assessed a Flagrant 2 foul, which earned him an immediate ejection. The foul, though, wont warrant any further suspensions because it was not deemed a fight, according to a longtime referee evaluator who attended Saturdays game.
Regardless of what took place prior or if there was anything, you got to be tough enough to think next play, KU coach Bill Self said.
If Williams had retaliated with his own blow, the sequence could have earned suspensions for both players. Embiid, who had 11 points and nine rebounds, will return for Mondays game against Iowa State. KU did not make Embiid available to answer questions from reporters after the game.
Thats frustrating to me that that would happen, even if it was a situation where it was retaliatory, Self said. And I dont have any idea that it was. You cant do it. I thought it was a good lesson for Joel, and a good lesson for our team to learn from Joel.
Self didnt protest the officials decision to eject Embiid after they reviewed the play.
I told him, If he did it, get him out of here, Self said.
• Kansas senior Tarik Black recorded his 1,000th career point on a basket in the paint in the first half. Black, who finished with four points and four rebounds in 15 minutes, now has 1,002 career points, including 949 points at Memphis during his first three college seasons.
I knew I was at 998, so it was just special to get that 1,000th point, said Black, who wasnt sure hed score this many points when he signed with Memphis. I felt confidence that I would be able to score not saying Id hit 1,000 points, I didnt think I ever foresaw that.
• Kansas may have caught a break when Iowa State guard DeAndre Kane sprained his ankle in the Cyclones 87-82 loss to Oklahoma on Saturday afternoon. Kane, a transfer from Marshall, entered Saturday averaging 16.1 points, 7.1 rebounds and 6.3 assists, leading Iowa State to a 14-0 start before its first loss.
His status appears questionable for Monday night when Kansas travels to Iowa State for a Big Monday matchup. Iowa State officials told reporters in Norman, Okla., that Kanes availability for Monday could largely depend on his pain tolerance.
Kanes great, Self said. I heard he turned his ankle or did something today. I dont know serious, but hes a terrific player.
• Kansas won its Big 12 home opener for the 30th time in 31 seasons.
• Freshman Conner Frankamp hit a three-pointer for the second straight game. KU improved to 6-0 when Frankamp scores.
| Rustin Dodd, firstname.lastname@example.org