By SAM McDOWELL
The Kansas City Star
• Key play: A hustle play from Ryan Rosburg kept the basketball from going out of bounds, setting off a chain reaction that ended with Earnest Ross driving to the basket for a layup, which gave Missouri its first lead of the game with 4:22 remaining in the half.
• Key stat: Long Beach State made five three-pointers in the half, two each from Kris Gulley and Tyler Lamb.
• Key play: Jabari Brown drilled a three-pointer from the wing to extend a four-point lead to seven points with 2:26 left in the game.
• Key stat: After shooting 39 percent in the first half, Long Beach State made only 26.1 percent of its second-half attempts. Much of that can be attributed to the Tigers keeping Long Beach State off the glass.
Notes: Haith offers dance tips
• Missouri coach Frank Haith ended his news conference Saturday by praising the football teams Cotton Bowl victory against Oklahoma State. And then he praised coach Gary Pinkels dance moves in the locker room. Well, sort of.
I did like our football game last night. I like Garys dance, too, Haith said. I do need to spend some time with him and work on some of that stuff before next season. But I will say it was impressive.
• Shawnee Mission Northwest graduate A.J. Spencer finished with four points and three rebounds for Long Beach State. He started and played 20 minutes.