Breaking News

Kansas girl who was shocked while dancing in the rain dies

Updated: 2014-01-02T13:11:50Z

SALINA, Kan.

A 12-year-old Salina girl who was shocked in May while dancing in the rain in downtown Salina has died in a Nebraska hospital.

The Salina Journal reports Jayden Hicks was 11 on May 29 when she was playing with friends during a thunderstorm in Campbell Plaza. She was shocked when she came into contact with the metal covers of in-ground electrical junction boxes in front of the plaza. She died Tuesday morning in Lincoln, Neb., of respiratory failure.

Her father, Jaymie Hicks, posted a Facebook message saying Jayden died at 3:56 a.m. Her aunt, Kim Queen of Inman, told KWCH-TV Jayden's death was heartbreaking, but that she wasn't suffering anymore.

In September old wiring was removed from the city-owned electrical system in the area where Jayden was shocked.

Deal Saver Subscribe today!

Comments

Commenting disabled for this story.