Breaking News

Fire breaks out in Overland Park's TownePlace Suites

Updated: 2013-12-30T20:23:17Z

One person was taken to a hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation after a fire broke out Monday inside an Overland Park hotel.

The fire at the TownePlace Suites, 7020 W. 133rd Street, was reported just before noon. The building was being evacuated when Overland Park and Leawood firefighters arrived. The fire was found in a third-floor room and quickly extinguished, according to the Overland Park Fire Department.

A hotel employee who helped evacuate guests was taken to a hospital as a precaution for treatment of what was described as minor smoke inhalation.

The fire was believed to have started after something was placed too close to a heater, according to the fire department.

Tony Rizzo, trizzo@kcstar.com

Deal Saver Subscribe today!

Comments

The Kansas City Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Kansas City Star uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here