• Key play: After Tulane scored its first basket (a three-pointer with 17:50 to play), the Kansas State defense held the Green Wave without a point for nearly 10 1/2 minutes.
• Key stat: Tulane scored just 10 points in the opening half.
• Key play: Midway through the half, Kansas State forced a thoroughly frustrated Green Wave into a 10-second violation.
• Key stat: The Wildcats hit six of 11 three-pointers.
The wait is over for Thomas
Jevon Thomas, a freshman point guard who had to sit out the first semester because of eligibility issues and couldnt even practice with the team, made his debut as a Wildcat on Saturday. The native of nearby Queens played 19 minutes, going one-of-four from the field, collecting two rebounds and posting a team-high four assists.
The 6-foot, 180-pound guard committed to both St. Johns and Dayton out of high school but ended up at St. Johns Northwest Military Academy in Wisconsin before heading to Manhattan, Kan.
• Saturday was Kansas States first game in the borough of Brooklyn since the Wildcats 60-59 loss to Long Island on Dec. 2, 1950.