Kansas State University

Kansas State holds off South Dakota for 64-62 win

Updated: 2013-12-16T01:36:46Z


The Kansas City Star

— Kansas State followed its best game of the season with a clunker.

The Wildcats, fresh off an impressive victory over Mississippi, slogged their way through a 64-62 win against South Dakota on Tuesday at Bramlage Coliseum.

The game was in doubt from start to finish, with the Coyotes, 3-6, leading most of the way. The Wildcats, 6-3, struggled to find an offensive rhythm and allowed South Dakota’s duo of Trevor Gruis, who scored 16 points, and Adam Thoseby, who added 18 points, to get to the basket with ease.

If not for freshman Marcus Foster nailing four three-pointers on his way to 18 points, Shane Southwell taking command late on his way to 17 points, and South Dakota bumbling away opportunities to force overtime in the final minute while K-State missed free throws, things could have been much worse.

The Wildcats will have plenty to improve on before take the court against Troy on Sunday. But they can at least take solace in the fact that they won. That wasn’t the case earlier this year when K-State opened the season with a shocking loss to Northern Colorado.

“It was like going to the dentist and getting a root canal or getting your teeth pulled,” K-State coach Bruce Weber said. “That’s what it was like. It is very frustrating, but the positive is we found a way to win. We made some plays. It was a gut check. Three weeks ago, when we played Northern Colorado in a similar game, we didn’t win it. This time we won it.”

The difference on this night was veteran leadership. After an atrocious first half in which just three K-State players scored, three Wildcats players were credited with assists, seven K-State players lost turnovers and South Dakota held a 31-26 lead, junior forward Thomas Gipson and Southwell, a senior guard, sparked a comeback.

Gipson called for the ball under the basket and scored 13 points while grabbing several key rebounds and sinking a critical free throw with 2 seconds remaining. And Southwell led the way during a pivotal 7-0 run that gave K-State a 61-57 lead with 4:09 remaining.

First, Southwell hit a driving layup, then he nailed a three-pointer. Then he attacked the basket for another layup, and Gipson was there to clean up his miss with a follow layup.

“We called this one a bar fight,” Gipson said, “because we just had to make the right plays and get stops down the stretch. We had to do the right things.”

Thing is, K-State tried to give the game away. Though it held a lead the rest of the way, things were in doubt until the buzzer.

K-State missed six of seven free throws in the final 51 seconds, and South Dakota’s Brandon Boss attempted a potential game-winning shot from half-court shot as time expired.

The shot missed badly, and K-State survived. But it wasn’t pretty.

“We did find a way to win,” Weber said, “but I think everyone knows we need to get better. If we don’t the competition is getting better and better and it’s going to get tougher and tougher.”

To reach Kellis Robinett, send email to krobinett@kcstar.com. Follow him at Twitter.com/KellisRobinett.

Deal Saver Subscribe today!


The Kansas City Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Kansas City Star uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here