Kansas distance running legend and Olympic gold medalist Billy Mills will receive the Theodore Roosevelt Award, which the NCAA considers its highest honor.
Star news services
The NCAA says the award is given annually to an individual “for whom competitive athletics in college and attention to physical well-being thereafter have been important factors in a distinguished career of national significance and achievement.”
Mills ran at KU from 1958-61 and won the 10,000 meters at the 1964 Tokyo Olympics.
Central Missouri knocked out of NCAAs
The second-seeded Central Missouri volleyball team was eliminated Friday in the second round of the NCAA Division II Central Regional in Duluth, Minn. The Jennies, who finished the season 33-2, lost 25-20, 25-20 and 25-12 to No. 3 seed Concordia-St. Paul.
• Kansas’ Ray Bechard was chosen Division I Central Region coach of the year by the American Volleyball Coaches Association, who also chose K-State’s Kaitlynn Pelger of Olathe South and KU’s Caroline Jarmoc as first-team all-region and Missouri’s Lisa Henning of Blue Springs as first-team all-South Region.
In the NAIA, Park’s Wanessa Siqueira and Lauren Purdy and MidAmerica Nazarene’s Vladi Kopanarova, Taryn Salum and Zoraida Heredia were chosen to the all-Midwest Region first team. Siqueira was the region’s player of the year and MidAmerica’s Kristin Steele was coach of the year.
NAIA soccer scholar-athletes
The following Kansas City-area men’s players were chosen NAIA scholar-athletes:
• Avila: Benjamin Dlugolecki, Pleasant Hill; Robert Hayes, Overland Park; Trent Nichol, Blue Springs; Tony Ramirez, Independence; Blake Wahlbrink, Belton.
• Graceland (Iowa): Christopher Lopez, Raytown; Kurt Van Kuiken, Shawnee
• Park: Reece Harris, Platte City
• Saint Mary: Nathan Eudaly, Kansas City; Cory Stephens, Bonner Springs
The following Kansas City-area women’s players were chosen NAIA scholar-athletes:
• Avila: Chelsea Tilbury, Blue Springs
• Bethel (Kan.): Brooke Banning, Lenexa
• Concordia (Neb.): Emmalynn Rodriguez, Kansas City
• Graceland (Iowa): Megan Codilla, Blue Springs; Courtney Codilla, Blue Springs; Monett Johnson, Blue Springs
• McPherson (Kan.): Kayla Besmer, Leavenworth; Natasha Chaney, Edgerton
• MidAmerica Nazarene: Kara Collins, Excelsior Springs
• Ottawa: Annette Kessler, Paola
• Park: Cara Lightle, Shawnee
• SAGU (Texas): Noelle Pugliese, Lee’s Summit
• Saint Mary: Alexandria Bartels, Tonganoxie; Jennifer Nye, Lansing; Bridget O’Neill, Leavenworth