By RUSTIN DODD
The Kansas City Star
• Key play: Freshman swingman Andrew Wiggins had a tip-in that pushed Kansas lead to 38-22 with 1:15 left in the half.
• Key stat: Kansas had eight offensive rebounds
• Key play: Freshman guard Frank Mason hit a three-pointer to extend Kansas lead to 49-42 with 13:27 left. The shot stopped a 16-6 Wake Forest run.
• Key stat: Kansas shot three of 15 from three-point range.
Wiggins has flu
Andrew Wiggins first two days in the Bahamas were anything but paradise.
According to Kansas coach Bill Self, Wiggins has been battling a rather nasty flu bug that may have hampered his energy level during Kansas 87-78 victory over Wake Forest in the first round of the Battle 4 Atlantis.
Hes actually feeling better, Self said. He was really struggling the last two days.
Wiggins, who has spent most of those two days in his room, still managed to finish with 17 points and four rebounds, including 12 points during the second half. He is now averaging 16.8 points per game after his first five games. Just for comparison, former KU guard Ben McLemore, who set KUs all-time freshman scoring mark last season, averaged 14 points in his first five games. McLemore finished the season averaging 15.9 points per game.
On Thursday, Wiggins, who was not made available to reporters after the game, had just five points in the first half before finishing strong down the stretch.
Hes got to learn to play through it, Self said. He actually did some good things when he got back in there.
• After the game, Self revised his earlier prediction that close to 2,000 Kansas fans had made the trip to Atlantis for the tournament. The Imperial Arena seats 3,900 for basketball, and it appeared that the crowd was nearly 90 percent Kansas fans.
There had to be 3,000 fans there, Self said.
• Kansas continued to look dangerous on the offensive class, finishing with 15 offensive rebounds and 21 second-chance points. On the other hand, Kansas also allowed Wake Forest to grab 13 offensive rebounds.
We missed 33 shots and got 15 back, so thats pretty good. Self said. But on the flip side we didnt defensively rebound as well as we could.
| Rustin Dodd, email@example.com