Here are some observations based on the snap-count data from the Chiefs 41-38 loss to the San Diego Chargers on Nov. 24. Numbers provided by the NFL.
By TEREZ A. PAYLOR
The Kansas City Star
• The fact Tamba Hali and Justin Houston both got injured in the very same quarter Sunday seems pretty fluky in retrospect, especially when you consider that those two along with linebacker Derrick Johnson and safety Eric Berry were the only starters to play every defensive snap of every game since the season opener against Jacksonville.
Now, only Berry, Johnson and center Rodney Hudson have played every snap since then.
• Talk about being thrown into the fire. Thanks to the injuries to Houston and Hali, outside linebackers Frank Zombo (57 snaps) and Dezman Moses (43 snaps) each logged a season-high defensive plays snaps on Sunday. Neither had played a defensive snap since the Chiefs season-opening win over Jacksonville, when Zombo played nine and Moses played six.
• Some interesting stuff going on with Akeem Jordan right now. He only played 17 percent of the Chiefs defensive snaps Sunday, just one week after he played just 11 percent of the defensive snaps. Mind you, this is the Chiefs starter at inside linebacker next to Derrick Johnson in their 3-4 defense. The fact the Chiefs have used him so little speaks to the pass-happy nature of Denver and San Diego, their last two opponents. Hell probably be stuck on the bench again this week in the rematch against the Broncos.
• Defensive end Allen Bailey played a season-high 49 snaps on Sunday. He started in place of Mike DeVito.
• Newly-acquired defensive tackle Kyle Love played two snaps Sunday, both on the goal line.
• Defensive end Mike Catapano and cornerback Ron Parker each played a defensive snap, marking the first time in weeks either player has seen the field on defense. Parker logged his first snap since Week 2, when he played five snaps and had a strip and a sack against Dallas. Catapano logged his first snap since Week 6 against Oakland, when he played five snaps.
• Knile Davis continues to see his time fluctuate on offense. After logging 12 snaps against Denver, he logged five against San Diego. But the Chiefs found another way to use him. For the first time I can recall, the Chiefs used Davis on kick coverage. He didnt have a tackle, but he did play five snaps on that unit (the gamebook says he played six total snaps on special teams, but I cant find the other one).
• Rishaw Johnson earned his first action of the season on the offensive line Sunday. He came in for Geoff Schwartz at right guard on the Chiefs tackle-eligible plays, which they ran on the goal line. Schwartz then shifted over to the tight end position next to Branden Albert, a position Donald Stephenson used to man before he was thrust into the starting lineup Sunday. Its worth noting that Johnson did a decent enough job on Jamaal Charles 1-yard touchdown run, when he was asked to pull to his left and block linebacker Manti Teo. Check out big No. 75 in the .gif below.
|Pos., Name||Off. Snaps||Snap %||ST Snaps||Snap %|
|LT Branden Albert||64||100%||6||16%|
|G Geoff Schwartz||64||100%||6||16%|
|C Rodney Hudson||64||100%||6||16%|
|LG Jeff Allen||64||100%||6||16%|
|RT D. Stephenson||64||100%||6||16%|
|QB Alex Smith||64||100%|
|RB Jamaal Charles||59||92%|
|WR Dwayne Bowe||54||84%|
|TE Anthony Fasano||51||80%|
|WR Donnie Avery||50||78%|
|WR Dexter McCluster||40||62%||6||16%|
|FB Anthony Sherman||20||31%||24||65%|
|TE Sean McGrath||17||27%||1||3%|
|WR Junior Hemingway||14||22%||19||51%|
|WR A.J. Jenkins||8||12%|
|RB Knile Davis||5||8%||6||16%|
|OG Rishaw Johnson||2||3%||6||16%|
|RB Cyrus Gray||24||65%|
|K Ryan Succop||13||35%|
|LS Thomas Gafford||10||27%|
|Pos., Name||Def. Snaps||Snap %||ST Snaps||Snap %|
|ILB Derrick Johnson||70||100%||3||11%|
|CB Brandon Flowers||70||100%|
|S Eric Berry||70||100%|
|CB Sean Smith||69||99%|
|NT Dontari Poe||68||97%||7||19%|
|S Kendrick Lewis||65||93%|
|CB Marcus Cooper||58||83%||12||32%|
|LB Frank Zombo||57||81%||25||68%|
|S Quintin Demps||56||80%||15||41%|
|DE Allen Bailey||49||70%||12||32%|
|LB Dezman Moses||43||61%||19||51%|
|DE Tyson Jackson||31||44%||7||19%|
|OLB Justin Houston||27||39%||1||3%|
|OLB Tamba Hali||13||19%||1||3%|
|ILB Akeem Jordan||12||17%||28||76%|
|S Husain Abdullah||7||10%||31||84%|
|DE Kyle Love||2||3%|
|CB Ron Parker||1||1%||31||84%|
|DE Mike Catapano||1||1%||14||38%|
|LB J. Johnson||24||65%|
|CB Sanders Commings||3||4%||23||62%|
|P Dustin Colquitt||10||27%|
To reach Terez A. Paylor, call 8162344489 or send email to email@example.com. Follow him at Twitter.com/TerezPaylor.