Self sits freshman Greene
By RUSTIN DODD
The Kansas City Star
Kansas freshman wing Brannen Greene didn’t play in Kansas’ 88-66 victory over Iona — even in the final minutes. KU coach Bill Self said Greene wasn’t in trouble, but it appeared to be a message sent, all the same.
“That was just my decision,” Self said. “I love Brannen Greene, but he needs to be a little more responsible taking care of some responsibilities off the court. But by no means is he in trouble or anything like that. We just need to make sure we’re all on the same page.”
• Freshman Conner Frankamp played extended minutes in the first half and made one three-pointer while adding a defensive spark.
“I told him after the game,” Self said, “I wish I’d have played him the second half. I only played him a minute or two the second half.”
• Key play: KU freshman center Joel Embiid finished a graceful scoop shot while cutting across the middle of the lane.
• Key stat: Iona shot 44.8 percent in the first half.
• Key play: Kansas junior Naadir Tharpe tossed an alley-oop to freshman guard Frank Mason that effectively capped a second-half runaway.
• Key stat: KU held Iona to 32.1 percent shooting in the second half.
| Rustin Dodd, email@example.com