High schools

Blue Springs buries Lee’s Summit early, moves on in Class 6

Updated: 2013-11-16T06:46:29Z


The Kansas City Star

After slicing his way between a pair of offensive linemen, Blue Springs tailback Dalvin Warmack spotted a clear path to the end zone, and was ready to score his fourth touchdown of the game.

A referee stopped him in his tracks. Warmack ran into the field umpire, who had been fooled by a back cut and knocked Warmack to the ground. He was the only man to slow down the Blue Springs offense Friday night.

Blue Springs dismantled Lee’s Summit for the second time in four weeks, this one a 63-21 victory that moves the Wildcats into the Missouri Class 6 state semifinals.

“It was a good form tackle,” Warmack joked. “He got me pretty good. I have to give him credit.”

The Wildcats, who scored 56 points before halftime Friday, will travel to face Eureka next week in search of their second straight trip to the Class 6 championship game. And they will ride a wave of momentum after a third straight 40-point margin of victory in the postseason.

It was only seven days ago that Blue Springs coach Kelly Donohoe said the Wildcats had put together perhaps the most complete performance of his coaching career.

It didn’t last long.

As part of his three-touchdown, 150-yard performance, Warmack scored on a 45-yard run on the final play of the first quarter. That gave Blue Springs an insurmountable 28-0 advantage.

The Wildcats, 12-0, scored four more times in the second quarter, including on a 33-yard fumble return from Carlos Davis and a 22-yard blocked punt return by Kaleb Prewett.

“We have players with really good football IQs,” Donohoe said. “They see those opportunities and they just jump at them. That’s pretty exciting.”

Lee’s Summit, 10-2, didn’t help its own cause. Four weeks after losing 49-7 at Peve Stadium — their only loss of the regular season — the Tigers placed an emphasis on getting off to a better start this time.

That didn’t happen.

Lee’s Summit ended its first drive on a low snap to the punter, its second drive on a lost fumble, its third on a turnover on downs and its fourth on an interception.

“They’re tough — I’ll give them credit — but we killed ourselves,” Lee’s Summit quarterback Drew Lock said. “In those first four drives, we just killed ourselves. That was it.”

In a pass-heavy spread offense, Lock completed 16 of 33 passes for 168 yards. He was held without a touchdown for the first time this season.

Blue Springs, meanwhile, had no issues in its passing game. With Lee’s Summit stacking the line to try to limit Warmack’s yards, quarterback Ian Brown threw three touchdowns over the top to Kaleb Prewett — all in the first half — which totaled 188 yards.

Warmack and Brown both sat out the second half.

“Dalvin is a great running back. If you’re a smart team, you’re going to key on Dalvin,” Prewett said. “But that opened it up for me to make big plays, so that’s what I did.”

Blue Springs followed his lead.

To reach Sam McDowell, send email to smcdowell@kcstar.com. Follow him at twitter.com/SamMcDowell11.

Deal Saver Subscribe today!


The Kansas City Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Kansas City Star uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here